PDA

View Full Version : Nuthatch

Nick Palmieri
01-25-2013, 06:51 PM
I shot this little guy at a local nature preserve. There were some perches set up around some bird houses and I brought some peanuts and birdseed and filled the feeders. This was my first time shooting these little guys. Canon EOS 1DMK4, 600mm, ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/1000s.

Randy Stout
01-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Nick:

I like nuthatches, they are perky, a little quirky with their head down positioning on trunks, pretty.

Your exposure looks good. I like the head up pose, wish it was a bit more our way.

There is a blue cast on the image, can probably warm it up a bit just by adjusting the color temp.

If you have room, it would be nice to move him a bit out of the center of the frame.

Cheers

Randy

Nick Palmieri
01-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks Randy, I thought there was a color cast but it seems to be only on the bird. Some of the birds were bluer than others..male/female??? When i came home I wasn't sure if this was one of bluer ones...my first time shooting these guys. I will try to tone down the blue on the bird. Thanks for the valuable input.

Nick Palmieri
01-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Oh boy Randy! Color cast removed. Thanks again!

Randy Stout
01-25-2013, 07:20 PM
NicK:

Big improvement to my eye. Good job!

Randy

dankearl
01-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Very nice pose.
I can't imagine you were that close, so I think a much looser crop would look better.
More room all around and a lot more in front would look nice for me.
Nice exposure, perch not too large, and nice sharpness.

Marina Scarr
01-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Good catch and advice by Randy. What a difference in your RP. A comp which is more off-center would work better for this bird in my opinion, as would a smaller perch. However, for your first stab at photographing these guys in your yard, I think you did a terrific job and I'm looking forward to more.

Melissa Groo
01-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Great job on your repost, Nick. I too could see a bit more room in front but a neat portrait that really captures the spirit and posture of this nuthatch very well.

Richard Stern
01-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Hi,

Repost is much better, but I would also like to see a looser crop with more room to the left.

Richard

Vivaldo Damilano
01-26-2013, 01:54 AM
Super repost, warmer colours work very nicely. Cool looking bird, like their colors. I agree with a more space though.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Repost is great and the detail is very nice as well. I find the little ones to be a big challenge to get