PDA

View Full Version : First time for Everything!!

Robert Holguin
01-25-2013, 05:40 PM
Hello everyone.
Well I have read many times of photographers having their subjects ran off by lose dogs but have never experienced it my self.
Today while working on getting close to some cormorants at the local lake. I noticed a car that pulled up and just stayed there.
I did not pay much attention to it and continued on my mission. When I was finally close enough! The pigeons, ducks, and geese that
where around me flew off like something had spooked them. When I look up I see this pitbull running at me. I was close to the edge of the lake so I just braced my gear and turned my back towards the dog. It sniffed and tried pushing me and then I hear the owner come out of the car trying to call his dog back. I so wanted to kick a field goal with that dog, but mainly the owner. The dog finally went back to it's owner and the guy just turned around with a smile on his face and yelled out sorry. I did not respond, but was burning with fury inside.
What a day and experience.
Sorry so long just had to vent.

Daniel Cadieux
01-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Welcome to the club Robert....

Marina Scarr
01-25-2013, 06:46 PM
Ditto on the welcome to the club. I had a guy out walking his dog on a beach filled with birds without a leash...was bird filled. My friends had driven 1.5 hrs to photograph. I was very nice and stopped the guy to ask him since it was the law if in the future he could please put a dog on a leash. He copped an attitude on me, so I walked over to his car with my cell phone wrote his tag down and called the cops on him for a leash violation. They asked me if I could describe him, I told them I can do better, here's the tag of the car he just got into. They probably didn't pursue it, but maybe he'll think twice before doing it again next time to avoid the hassle. Probably not though!

PhilCook
01-25-2013, 07:23 PM
A world wide problem sadly, it really peeves me too, and as a consequence I do most of my birding in as a remote an area as I can find which generally means a lot of walking.

I've had this happen on many occassions, sadly we have some rare and highly endangered birds that " try " to nest on the beaches here. A conservation effort has been implemented by erecting temporary fencing and signage in the sensitive areas, but still the inconsiderates allow their dogs and children run in and flurry the birds grrrrrr ! I was very disgusted a while back when I was trying to photograph water birds in a remote wetland/swamp nature reserve where numerous birds were nesting, and was shocked when 3 Jet Skis came roaring into the waterway and sent birds scattering in all directions.

John Chardine
01-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Robert- This is why Jean-Paul Sartre wrote in one of his famous plays:

"H e l l is other people".

Grace Scalzo
01-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Been in your place, Robert. As maddening as that was, I am mostly glad that the dog did not hurt you.

Andrew Merwin
01-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Robert- This is why Jean-Paul Sartre wrote in one of his famous plays:

"H e l l is other people".

The play is "No Exit"

I have had this experience so many times that I now expect it. I have had dogs, adults & children run up to me scaring photographic subjects. Sometimes I perceive that it is done on purpose. I too try to get away from people by hiking away from the TH's & trails. I have actually had people follow me to ask what I am doing. C'est la vie.

Gary Lien
01-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Most of the time, maybe even more than most of the time it is just a dog that won't mind it's owner. I have was treed by a really bad dog once, and had an attempted attack by a pack of 4. After beeing treed I carried a pistol when out in the willd. I think it saved my life as I killed one of the 4 and shot another before they ran off. I'm more afraid of wild dogs than bears and snakes, LOL.
Glad you were ok.

Diane Miller
01-27-2013, 03:46 PM
I'd bet it's a big club. There has been a problem the last week or so in a wetland refuge near Petaluma, CA of birders spotting what looked like teenagers firing guns, apparently several different incidents. One guy got them in his binoculars and got a well-known gesture in response. Too many people are stupid and dangerous.

Dave Leroy
02-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Dogs and /or people can be very frustrating at times. It is tough but you just have to let it pass. Otherwise it can just spoil your day. If you have time it can also be an asset. If a group of feeding birds are flushed by a dog they will often return and not be so concerned with you the photographer. You may even be able to get into a bit better position while they are flying around.