PDA

View Full Version : Fall in the Smokies

Lyle Gruby
01-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Shot this in the Smokies this past fall. It was a little difficult to find anywhere with more peak fall colors than non-peak colors, but I liked this little section. All C&C appreciated

D7000
Tokina 11-16
Singh Ray thin vari-Nduo filter
f/20
2 exposure blend

Norm Dulak
01-26-2013, 04:37 PM
This is an interesting image. I generally like the composition, with the mossy foreground rock placed to the right. If it were mine, I think I'd crop some off the bottom, up to the bottom of the rock. I'd also consider reducing saturation a little. The colors seem a bit too intense to me.

Lyle Gruby
01-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Agree on both. Experimented with a tighter crop and I do like that more. I am a terror on oversaturation. Thanks for your feedback.

Morkel Erasmus
01-28-2013, 05:45 PM
I like the overall image design per se, Lyle...but the colours are way off IMHO...and I'm not just referring to oversaturation - that leaf was certainly not pink?? :eek3:
Or am I on Lucy-in-the-Sky-with-Diamonds tonight? :w3

I like the colours of the leaves on the opposite shore and how it's reflected in the water (bar the oversaturation of course). There's an odd texture (almost OOF?) in the trees that I can't put my finger on, should be in focus at f20, unless it's the effect of diffraction?

I'd rework this one from scratch. It's worth it IMHO. If you're keen I'd like to take a crack at the RAW files?

Don Railton
01-29-2013, 07:13 PM
I agree with all of the above wrt colour saturation, and ask if the 'texture' in the trees be over sharpening?? all that above the far waterline looks to have to much sharpening to me..

DON

Robert Amoruso
01-30-2013, 12:33 PM
I would agree with Morkel's comments above.

On cropping the bottom: At most in the middle between the bottom of the crop now and the rock's reflection.

Jerry van Dijk
01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Good comments already given. Good composition, colors look too unnatural and the BG indeed looks oversharpened. Worthwile to have a go at the rework.

Rachel Hollander
02-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Hi Lyle - having been in the Smokies this fall, I have to agree with the above comments, especially those regarding the colors. I hope you have others to share.

TFS,
Rachel