PDA

View Full Version : The Great Gray Owl

Doug Brown
01-25-2013, 08:34 AM
The Great Gray Owl has always been the #1 bird that I'd like to photograph. Thanks to Daniel Cadieux, I (along with my new BFF Marina Scarr) finally got my chance earlier this week. The Great Gray Owl lived up to every one of my expectations and then some. Such a magnificent creature!

Canon 1Dx, 300mm f/2.8, f/7.1, 1/2500, ISO 800, manual exposure, hand held, baited

Randy Stout
01-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Doug:

Wonderful wingspread, perfect eye contact, sharp, well exposed.

The comp is snug but works for me.

I might try a version with the trunks in the BG toned down a bit, as they are such strong vertical elements. Particularly the lower trunks that are getting fill off the snow. Overall, the brightness of the 2nd tree trunk in from the right is about perfect for my tastes in this image.

I know it was bitterly cold, but what a great opportunity, and it looks like you made the most of it.

Cheers

Randy

Ivan Ellison
01-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Incredible shot. The sight of this coming towards you must have put shivers up your spine. The bird is well exposed and super sharp. The little line of snow at the bottom really helps the image. Just working out how to buy a 1DX without the missus clocking all the savings have gone!

Randy Stout
01-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Doug:

I had a minute, and tried a tweak on the BG to help the bird separate a bit more cleanly. This may be overdone slightly, but wanted to show my thoughts.

Next year I will have to visit Daniel too!

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
01-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi Doug, this is pretty impressive. Tack sharp, and just love the wingspread and fanned tail. Yes, those eyes are memerising, and really stand out nicely. Im fine with the BG as is.

From your friends and family post, I knew you guys had great opportunities, so cant wait to see the others from the 'team. :w3

Daniel Cadieux
01-25-2013, 09:18 AM
With the awesome time we had I don't think I can critique this objectively! Excellent incoming pose with an intense stare that only the GGOs can provide. I could see some of the trees being toned down, but that is what we had at the time and I'm OK with them. Nicely balanced comp with the owl tilting ever so slightly to our left.

I saw how many superb frames you had...it must be tough to choose which ones to work on first! BTW, the cold spell is all but over... a very bearable -8F this morning (with a "feels like" of -18F).

Dan Brown
01-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Beautiful capture, Doug. I was up in north-central Washington state last week looking for a GGO with no luck:-( about the same time you were nailing this one! I like this as OP.

dankearl
01-25-2013, 10:39 AM
I would fly across the country for a shot like this!
Very Nice with really nice depth to the Owl.

David N Smith
01-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Great shot Doug. Probably when you were shooting you didn't notice the cold as much. The eyes look almost like head lights.

David

Doug Brown
01-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks for taking the time to rework the image Randy. I'll have a go at it when I get home tonight. It would have been fun if you could have been there too; a mini mod get-together.

Sidharth Kodikal
01-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Awesome Doug, and it's so great that you could get your #1 target species.
Love the stare and the pose and the details. I'd move the bird a bit to the left in the frame.
Looking forward to more!

Marina Scarr
01-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Love this particular pose where you have even lighting, the stare down and those wingtips flaring. The included environment with trees, snow & grasses works well...maybe somewhere between the OP & Randy's version. I would however, trim a sliver off of the right up to the edge of the tree, esp to remove the dark spot.

This trip was so tough from a physical aspect that, at this time, I can't even say that I would do it all over again. I need more time to recover first. What meant as much to me as witnessing and photographing these spectacular creatures was the friendships which were forged and the great camaraderie experienced with our fellow Canadian nature photographers. That was an unexpected treat. A special thanks goes out to Daniel and his family for their hospitality. Daniel's son Alexandre found my first ever GGO!!!

Miguel Palaviccini
01-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Doug, this is great! Awesome to see the BPN community interact in this fashion.

I like Randy's rendition of the image, with the bg toned down just a bit. If you have more (I'm sure you do) I look forward to seeing them!

Miguel

Bill Dix
01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
What a super shot. Great incoming pose, headlight-stare, bg, comp. I like everything about it. I can see some merit to Randy's repost, but wouldn't have noticed without his pointing out the brightness of the trees, so I'm more than fine with the OP. Daniel, I hope you have a large house.

Colin Gilyeat
01-25-2013, 01:20 PM
What a great shot, espcially coming right at you. Those eyes are just amazing

Colin

Katie Rupp
01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Big Congrats, Doug!!! I am so glad your search was successful and the image is spectacular.

Dennis Zaebst
01-25-2013, 01:38 PM
What else can I add? Not much...terrific image and great timing. This is one of my dream catches..Well done!

Lyle Gruby
01-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Wow, just awesome! Agree Marina's comments. Fantastic shot though

PhilCook
01-25-2013, 05:17 PM
I might just have to give up on my photography, cant conceivably come up to this standard :w3 Just lovely in every way !

Lorant Voros
01-25-2013, 05:36 PM
What a nice incoming pose and intense eyes. Looks like you upgraded to the 1dX as well and making the best out of it. Nice work.

Nick Palmieri
01-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Just awesome! TFS

Corey Hayes
01-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Great shot, the only this I would do would be to blur the background more.

Vivaldo Damilano
01-26-2013, 02:21 AM
Stunning dynamic pose, love the yellow eye, low POV and the outstretched wings, lovely shot Doug.

Stephen Stephen
01-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Doug wonderful image and congratulations on getting this lifer. It was a pleasure to finally meet you and Marina last Sunday. I'm only sorry that I had to leave so early that day. All the best!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-26-2013, 10:48 AM
And another congratulations to you as well Doug. You all did so well with the elements at hand and so far I am loving your returns. Great image and I do like the repost of calming down the bg. Wish I was there.

Doug Brown
01-26-2013, 11:18 AM
It was a pleasure to finally meet you and Marina last Sunday. I'm only sorry that I had to leave so early that day. All the best!

The feeling is mutual Stephen!

Doug Brown
01-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Here's a repost taking into account the excellent suggestions I've received.

arash_hazeghi
01-26-2013, 02:32 PM
oh man I wish this frame was mine

Robert Holguin
01-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Wow!!!
Stunning image!!
Excellent details, terrific pose, great comp, and I really like the background; it shows just enough of it's habitat.
Very well done.

Randy Stout
01-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Doug:

I like your repost a lot. It addresses my concerns about the original. When I was working on my repost, I realized that not only did the tree trunks draw my eye, but the many contrast of darker and lighter areas, although not harsh, did pull my eye.

Your version looks more natural than mine, and I think working on the raw file was a real plus in that regard.

Keeps the attention where you really want it, on that great bird, but does reward your eye for a perusal of the rest of the frame as well.

Congrats..

Randy

Doug Brown
01-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Thanks for taking a second look Randy!

Andrew Merwin
01-26-2013, 03:50 PM
A superlative image—especially so considering the weather. I really like the RP. TFS.

Melvin Grey
01-27-2013, 06:43 AM
What a bird!!!!! An absolutely superb image Doug. Technical excellence - taken for granted - particularly the re-post. Probably one of the best images of a GGO I have had the pleasure of seeing.

Doug Brown
01-27-2013, 08:32 AM
What a bird!!!!! An absolutely superb image Doug. Technical excellence - taken for granted - particularly the re-post. Probably one of the best images of a GGO I have had the pleasure of seeing.

Thanks Melvin! Lots of frames to share with you in Costa Rica in a couple of weeks!

Kerry Perkins
01-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Fantastic Doug, one of the best bird images I've ever seen! Big congrats on this one, a winner for sure!

Don Nelson
01-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Superb. Glad you got that one on your bucket list. With Snowys last year, and Great Gray this year, what's left?

A reminder that Doug is teaching (with Jim Neiger) - their west coast flight workshop in Huntington Beach (Bolsa Chica) California this July. I took it two years ago and learned a great deal. Timed to take advantage of the tern colony, you'll get some outstanding images of head shakes and dives. Great time and absolutely outstanding teaching by both of these instructors. You must sign up for this if you are on the Left Coast of North America! I had an OUTSTANDING time.

Doug Brown
01-27-2013, 10:49 PM
A reminder that Doug is teaching (with Jim Neiger) - their west coast flight workshop in Huntington Beach (Bolsa Chica) California this July. I took it two years ago and learned a great deal. Timed to take advantage of the tern colony, you'll get some outstanding images of head shakes and dives. Great time and absolutely outstanding teaching by both of these instructors. You must sign up for this if you are on the Left Coast of North America! I had an OUTSTANDING time.

Your check is in the mail Don! :cheers: