PDA

View Full Version : Peeping Cat

Brendon Cremer
01-24-2013, 05:08 AM
This Leopard was peering at us from behind this tree the light was fairly good a soft on what was a slightly overcast day with patches of light, behind the tree she had a baboon kill that se was feeding off.

1/2000 sec @ f5.6 ISO 640 Exposure Bias -1
Nikon D3, Nikkor 200-400 F4 VR

Steve Kaluski
01-24-2013, 06:22 AM
Hi Brendon, I like the 'curiosity' look and in this instance, keeping the subject small within the habitat.

If it was me, I might crop some from the LHS based on a vertical line through the 'D' of your name, as personally the trunk for me is too dominant. If you have applied any NR/blur to the vegetation then I might ease back, as it's just a little too 'blended' for a better phrase, although I'm not sure if I'm being clear? I think there is still a little too much Red coming through, however using a mask you can always bring it back in for parts of the tree trunk. I would also look to opening the face up a fraction more, plus adding some selection USM. Some simple tweaks and you are there, I just think key areas just need clarifying, giving more definition to the composition. Based on the EXIF, curious why -0.67 EV if the light was good?

I won't RP unless you need clarification. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
01-24-2013, 06:52 AM
I really like this, Brendon, my kind of image. I fully agree with Mr Detail :t3 above on shaving some off the LHS and opening up the details some more.
In hindsight I would've liked seeing a shot at f8 or even f11 to have the entire tree trunk in focus as well? :e3

Steve Kaluski
01-24-2013, 06:57 AM
In hindsight I would've liked seeing a shot at f8 or even f11 to have the entire tree trunk in focus as well?

It did cross my mind too Morkel, but I think it might be down to sharpening just looking at the tweaks I applied, but I'm sure Brendon will let us know. :S3:

Dumay de Boulle
01-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Nice image design mate...Something really different...I like it!

Loi Nguyen
01-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Brendon, very nice image and agreed with Steve and Morkel's suggestions. A bit crop on the LHS would make the tree trunk less dominant. On the RHS, there is a branch that is in focus. I wonder if you have more of it to show to make a frame?

Morkel Erasmus
01-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Looking again, could work GREAT as a portrait/vertical with crop from LHS and RHS and framed by the top branch.

Andreas Liedmann
01-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Hi Brendon,
like the image design as is , agree about the reducing the red/magenta cast , think the image will look a bit clearer .
A bit more clarity and sharpness could also improve the image , on the subject.

Overall a nice and unusual image.

TFS Andreas

Brendon Cremer
01-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Thanks very much guys, Steve and Morkel you have some great ideas, i will give them both a bash and RP for your opinions.

Rachel Hollander
01-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Brendon - I too really like the concept and design of this image. I'm sure the excellent suggestions above will take this to another level.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
01-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Hi Brandon, I like very much how the image is. Something different :bg3:
Good suggestions from Steve & Morkel

Ciao

Anette

Brendon Cremer
01-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Here is a RP with some of the suggestions Steve and Morkel made, cropped some of the tree out, sharpened up the tree, dropped the reds in the image, opened up and sharpened the leopard a little more.

Brendon Cremer
01-24-2013, 03:28 PM
A second RP with a Portrait orientation crop as per Morkels suggestion, WDYT

Loi Nguyen
01-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Fantastic! I like it a lot

Anette Mossbacher
01-24-2013, 03:43 PM
The vertical is great Brendon :bg3:

Andreas Liedmann
01-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Vote for the vertical !!

Andrew Merwin
01-24-2013, 05:09 PM
I think the vertical crop is the best because the leopard's eyes are looking up & it minimizes the BG trees.

Don Railton
01-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Hi Brendon

I like the vertical crop also but my taste would have it not quite so tight, so the overhead branch is complete (just) and disappearing out the top of the frame, not the RHS. There is also a green blur in front of the torn part of the bark, not sure how to remove stuff like that but I would if i could... Its a great image, i love the intense stare

TFS

DON

Tom Graham
01-25-2013, 04:04 AM
The bright orangeish cut/slit of tree trunk distracts me away from the leopard. I'd clone it down if not out. If adverse to cloning , much the same could be done by "burning".
Tom

Steve Kaluski
01-25-2013, 04:26 AM
Hi Brendon, I think the RP of the OP is better, but still feel it's running a little warm, however...

I think with the other RP's you need to take into account cropping, pixels & IQ, although at this size it's not so crucial. Having the option of the zoom lens was a bonus, and perhaps with hindsight, bolting on a converter may have given you other options to go tighter to avoid some of the existing elements. Whichever way you go, I would agree on the 'gardening' that Loi mentioned, of the twig at the foot of the image near the middle. The OOF leaves that Tom is referring to is slightly annoying, likewise on your previous posting, however things like this are often hard to seen in the viewfinder in the heat of the moment.

Just to add to your collection of crops & RP's, another option. :bg3:

cheers
Steve

Brendon Cremer
01-25-2013, 05:49 AM
Thanks very much once again everyone. Tom i see how doing some cloning can help will give it a bash and Steve i like your RP the crop and gardening definitely helps and i can see i need to reduce the reds and warmth even more.

Steve Kaluski
01-25-2013, 05:58 AM
Hi Brendon, I think somewhere between the two, as mine is a little too cold I think, but this was based on the OP as I said. Plus, just remember, what I see & you see are going to be slightly different due to screen and the 'environment' you are working in, as mine is close to being 'nocturnal' in terms of light conditions. :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
01-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Hey Brendon,
Glad I looked at all the posts! My recommendation was going to go more pano like Steve's repost. I might leave the entire tree as the OOF trunk doesn't bother me that much. I used the old browser crop....just eliminating the upper branch.....then I would possibly remove the OOF branch on the RHS. Given my preference......I think all the proposed comps/crops work.....so a nice luxury to have and a fantastic image!

Marina Scarr
01-31-2013, 12:25 PM
I like both of Brendon's reposts but find the vertical the most powerful, although I really love the inclusion of all of the environment on the horizontal. It's tough when you have so many choices. :)