PDA

View Full Version : Long Tail Duck

Rachel Hollander
01-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Another one from this past weekend at Barnegat Jetty. This was in the last hour before sunset.

Canon 5D3
300 II + 2x III
1/5000
f6.3
ISO 800
HH from rocks, cropped for comp, levels, curves, selective color, dodging and burning, NR on bg and sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

dankearl
01-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Rachel,
Nice and sharp and well exposed.
I would crop off the bottom all the way to the reflection if it were mine and take some off the left behind the duck.
This doesn't look like a big crop so the 5D3 image should easily be cropped tighter.

Colin Gilyeat
01-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Rachele, very nice, the exposure looks good, and the whites are nice. I like the little bit of reflection of the head and beak. The only thing mising is the tail being more visible, otherwise great pose with a good HA.

Colin

Rachel Hollander
01-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks Dan and Colin, much appreciate the comments and suggestions. Dan - the tail is almost to the left edge so I don't want to crop more from the left. Yes, Colin, for some reason this one didn't really display his tail at all.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Robert Holguin
01-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Very nice shot.
Exposure is spot on, I really like the water drops, and nice details.
Well done.

Mike Milicia
01-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Great light and pose with excellent exposure ... another nice one!
I could see taking a bit off the bottom but only to around the top of your signature.

Jonathan Ashton
01-24-2013, 06:17 AM
Super exposure pose and detail, a very clean image. My only reservation is the angle which I appreciate you could do very little about, but had you been tad lower it think it would have increased impact.

gail bisson
01-24-2013, 06:30 AM
Hi Rachel,
The light is lovely and the exposure is spot on!
I do wish you had been a bit lower but realize that isn't possible from the jetty.
I like your comp but would add a touch more room on the left for that long submerged tail,
Gail

Melissa Groo
01-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Lower would have been nice but of course sometimes it's absolutely impossible. This is a lovely portrait, the light is sweet, and that slight head angle is great. I like the pink bill reflected in the water. Nice work.

Karl Egressy
01-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Great light, pose,exposure and perfect HA, Rachel.

Bill Dix
01-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Nice one, Rachel. Getting low is one of the problems of shooting at the jetty; but given that, this is a handsome shot. Well exposed, and I love the reflection of the bill. Cropping up from the bottom sounds like a good idea to me. Cropping from the left would, as you say, take off the "virtual tail". I'd even add a smidge to the left.

Stu Bowie
01-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi Rachel, love the late light in this, and you have exposed this perfectly. Droplets always add something special, and I do like the choppy sea. If this were mine, I would take a bit off the top to push the duck a little higher in the frame. Seems like you got your monies worth with this species. :w3

Rachel Hollander
01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks everyone. I very much appreciate all the comments and suggestions (even if some of them are conflicting :bg3:).

Thanks again,
Rachel