PDA

View Full Version : Downy Woody

Mike Delgado
01-23-2013, 06:16 PM
This guy has decided to take residence in my backyard. I hope to get cleaner images.

Lana Hays
01-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Mike
This looks like a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker......probably a juvenile, although I've never seen a juvenile. When I see the markings on the tree, I think of a Sapsucker. Nice image and a great winter backyard buddy.

Richard Stern
01-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Hi,

Indeed it's a Sapsucker. Good picture of the bird and its drilling method, but the angle's a bit steep and it might be nice to clone out some of the oof branches.

Richard

Marina Scarr
01-24-2013, 09:15 PM
That's a very cool-looking WP. Wish I had one in my yard. Great tree, nice light, super subject but really wish for a lower angle.

Mike please post your equipment and settings with your images. In this case, I would like to see what equipment you were using to know whether you could have stepped back some, added a converter and maybe cut off this angle a little bit.

Thanks.

Mike Delgado
01-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Marina

Nikon D700
500mm F4
F 7.1
1/800sec
ISO 320
Natural light (afternoon light)

I had to get on the backside of the tree to get the light. If I was to add a TC and steped back I would have another tree in the way. If I can get him early morning I miht have a more level shot.
Any sugestion or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

That's a very cool-looking WP. Wish I had one in my yard. Great tree, nice light, super subject but really wish for a lower angle.

Mike please post your equipment and settings with your images. In this case, I would like to see what equipment you were using to know whether you could have stepped back some, added a converter and maybe cut off this angle a little bit.

Thanks.

Marina Scarr
01-27-2013, 04:01 AM
Thank you for posting your equipment. The first thing I notice is that you rarely need to photograph any bird image at less than 400 ISO. This will give you a little more speed or DOF when you need it.

If you have a tree in the way and cannot back up, I would suggest that you put a speaker at the bottom of the tree on which you would like the woodpecker to land. Put some food in little holes on the tree where you would like him to perch for you. Peanut butter works well.