PDA

View Full Version : And who might you be?

Dan Busby
01-23-2013, 12:33 PM
I was crawling around on my stomach on the shore of Lake Ontario last March, trying to get low angles on various duck species. This Red-breasted Merganser female didn't notice me while it was diving and drifting closer to me. Then suddenly it surfaced in front of me and gave me this puzzled look.

Canon 7D, 500mm f/4L +1.4x, ISO:400, f/7.1@1/1250, EC: -0.3, AP, AI Servo AF, evaluative metering. 25%crop, levels, shadows, USM.

All C&C welcome and appreciated.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi Dan, I love being able to get close to these birds. This is super close and a nice low angle. I would be tempted to lighten the shadow a little on the birds left eye area. Am thinking I see a little noise on the head area as well.

Uri First
01-23-2013, 01:13 PM
beautiful capture. loved the angle and the amazed look. well done.

Dan Busby
01-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Hi Dan, I love being able to get close to these birds. This is super close and a nice low angle. I would be tempted to lighten the shadow a little on the birds left eye area. Am thinking I see a little noise on the head area as well.
Thanks Cheryl. I already did some work to bring out the left eye and didn't want to bring it too far for fear of making it look unnatural. As for noise, I didn't do any NR but I couldn't see any that stood out. Perhaps the anti-aliasing filter on my eyes requires some sharpening :bg3:.

nick clayton
01-23-2013, 04:40 PM
The forward looking pose with the sticking up bits of the crest give this image an intimate and comical feel to it Dan.

Tim Kuhn
01-23-2013, 07:10 PM
I wonder who was more surprised! Great quick snap. The low angle and proximity make for a nice intimate image.

Tim

gail bisson
01-23-2013, 08:03 PM
This is really nice !
Love the low angle and the IQ. I love the hair-do!
This would have been a killer image if the sun had been directly behind you lighting both eyes equally.
Gail

Robert Holguin
01-24-2013, 03:39 AM
Terrific shot.
Love the head on pose, excellent details, great low angle, and great comp.
Very well done.

Marina Scarr
01-24-2013, 09:24 PM
I am really liking this image, Dan. It's unique and in your face. It's almost like a clown with 2 faces. I like the hairdo and the eyes are awesome. I wish for less space on the bottom and more on top if you have it for a try.