PDA

View Full Version : Help!!First Light at Blacktop Mtn.

Bob Miller
01-22-2013, 09:10 PM
I was on a workshop and took this at first light in the Shenandoah mtns after a 30 minute climb in the dark to the summit. So this image is special to me but I don't seem to be able to get the colors right. Are they too saturated? Does the mid ground greens look Ok...they were a bit muddy. I would appreciate any help in optimizing this image. My Ps skills are intermediate.

Nikon D-300
.6 sec at F16
Iso 200
18-200 mm @18mm

Roman Kurywczak
01-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Hey Bob,
Did you use a split ND filter? Just asking for the URC. When you open this up in PS......check the red channel using the histogram window. It will look like the left histogram showing the red channel blown. Both Canon and Nikon tend to do this at Sunrise or sunset......even if the combined histogram looks good on your LCD. Only way to truly check is to go back to the original and see if you did it or it was your PP'ing. The histogram on the LR shows after I pulled back the red&yellow channels down in the areas circled......no more/very little clipping. You start loosing definition when colors bleed from over saturation......so just keep that in mind. I would also pull back on the Yellow channel in the mountains.....as that may be what is blocking up the greens. Nicely composed and I do think you can work this one to make it shine!

Bob Miller
01-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Roman...Thanks for this analysis. As i remember I did not use a split density filter but did two exposure that I blended- one exposed for the highlights and another for the foreground. I appreciate your expertise on this because this is a special image for me and I want to make it better. Thanks again!

Roman Kurywczak
01-23-2013, 11:05 AM
No problem Bob! Doing an exposure blend is a very good way to go when you don't have a split. Working with the RGB histogram should allow you to tweak this and get it the way you like. Remember that you can also use color balance layers.....to add the opposite color of the one that you feel is too strong. To Yellow....add Blue. Too red....add cyan......to greeen.....add magenta or vice versa on all of them. Just another way to tweak colors but if you see then starting to "bleed" like you have in the sky mostly......then just pull that specific color back. Many ways to get there.....so just giving you another option to use.

Roman Kurywczak
01-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Selective color is another of my favorites to even further fine tune colors and even whites/neutrals, and blacks!

Roman Kurywczak
01-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Hey Bob,
Took a quick whack at it using above mentioned tweaks and a few levels and B&C layers.......probably 12 in all selective areas......just to give you an idea of what is possible! Not perfect but tough on the small size so just a direction and let me know your thoughts.

David N Smith
01-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Nice capture Bob, well worth your effort. I like using the Color Balance layer in PS as it lets me tweak the colors rather easily as I am still a novice at PS. I would try playing with the contrast also as that remove some of the haze.

David

Lyle Gruby
01-23-2013, 01:03 PM
I really like the composition, and like Roman's version of the tweaked colors. I am usually guilty of oversaturating everything myself. Roman I really appreciate you going through the different ways to fix blown colors--had never seen or tried any of those things. That will be very helpful to me!

Bob Miller
01-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Roman...Thanks again for your help with this. I will give it a try tonight.

Bob Miller
01-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Roman....I tried pulling back the yellow and red channels and also tried using color balance llayers.and then added some contrast. What do you think. I remember the sky as being brighter than your repost and the rocks were glowing red so I did not want to go to far with this. Let me know what you think. Do the greens look better? Again...Thanks fro your help !

Morkel Erasmus
01-24-2013, 04:24 PM
A lovely scene here Bob. Some good discussion points above. I will only add that your last repost certainly takes the cake for me (with Roman's last one a close second).
I might sharpen the rocks a wee bit more...

Robert Amoruso
01-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Bob,

Roman's excellent tutorial covers any suggestions I might have. The split ND filter is the way to go with these types of images. I also agree some additional sharpening is needed.

Jerry van Dijk
01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Hi Bob, very lovely scene, I can see why this image is special to you! Very good tips already given, I'm amazed about how much detail is hidden in that sky. I do think that the FG looks a bit too cold in your RP.