PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Pier

Don Lacy
01-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Keeping with my recent theme of photographing close to home I spent this morning at my local pier as a cold front worked it way across Florida. Using long shutter speeds to blur the clouds as they moved across the frame I was able to create a slightly surreal look .

1DMKIII, 17-40 f/4 at 17mm, 69s at f/22, Manual Mode, Evaluated Metered, ISO 50, Raw, Cropped to pano in post and I cloned out some ghost figures from fisherman on the pier.
This is also the one of the few images were I really liked the effects of NIKs Color Effects Pro had on the image I used both the detail extractor and tonal contrast filters on separate layers with mask and fine tuned with the opacity slider

Roman Kurywczak
01-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Hey Don,
I really like this and the effect the long SS had on the image. You can endlessly tweak this one.....I was going to suggest lightening the water at first.....or even a bit more color......but I feel this is fantastic as presented and your crop choice works very well too!

David N Smith
01-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Nice shot Don. Just looking at it relaxes me with the colors and the smoothness of the clouds and the water. As Roman said the long shutter speed had a great effect on this one.

David

Lyle Gruby
01-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Agree with above, good choice of shutter--you've left a good amount of detail which I really like.

Morkel Erasmus
01-24-2013, 04:27 PM
this is really pleasant, Don :5
I do feel it could do with a bit more punch, perhaps some midtone contrast in the sky?

Robert Amoruso
01-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Don,

Increase the opacity on the tonal contrast to punch it up a bit.

Well done.

Ron Bernstein
02-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Hey Don - we meet again (Pine Glades Lake!)
Great job on this image. I agree with all the compliments and suggestions.
The only thought I wanted to add is that I prefer to work the image as a smart object in cs6 so I can use Nik's filters (and others) and go back to adjust them easily.
Hope to see you again soon.