PDA

View Full Version : female Greater Scaup

Dan Brown
04-28-2008, 12:16 AM
This image was made this weekend at Bodega Bay, CA. Nikon D200, 400mm f3.5 + TC14B, wide open, 1/2000 sec, ISO 400, exp. com. +33, PP - CS3, sharpened with Nik Sharpener Pro Inkjet edition.

Dan Brown

Arthur Morris
04-28-2008, 07:36 AM
I like the sharpness, the low angle, the EXP, and the BKGR. But with the harsh midday light, the awkward pose, and the limited eye contact this one does not work well at all for me. When making images of preening birds the head needs to be very close to parallel to the imaging sensor and the eye must be sharp, open, and clearly visible. Though these guidelines are not inviolable, it is rare that an image succeeds when not all of them are met...

Alfred Forns
04-28-2008, 07:58 AM
I like it Dan!!! Fully agree with Artie Do want to point out the good exposure Even with lots of mid day light the little extra compensation help out a dark bird, excellent shadow detail !!! Big Congrats !!!

btw I've been experimenting with the in camera active D-Light and beginning to like it !!!!

Fabs Forns
04-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Made very close to noon judging by the shadow, time to be home working on your images :)
Well exposed with good background, but pose and light hurt it.

Dan Brown
04-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. The shot was made at about 2:30pm )-: A very bright day! I will post the previous shot (a much better pose) in another thread today. Dan Brown