PDA

View Full Version : Abdim's Stork

Vincent Grafhorst
04-27-2008, 11:53 PM
My previous post only showed the head of an Abdim's stork, so I decided to show you an image of the entire bird now. Different place, different time, different bird though.

I felt a bit uncomfortable lying on the ground between these fellows, seeiing them pick up scorpions now and then... Unfortunately I did not manage a great photo with a scorpion in its beak.

Image created in the Central Kalahari Game Reserve, Deception Valley, Botswana

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/400
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation +1/3
ISO Speed 250
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
Focal Length 700.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592
Image Quality RAW
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Color Temperature(5200K)
AF Mode One-Shot AF

Vincent Grafhorst
www.khwaiphotography.com (http://www.khwaiphotography.com)
vincent@khwaiphotography.com (vincent@khwaiphotography.com)

Alexander Koenders
04-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Beautifull done Vincent. I like the lower point of view.

Manos Papadomanolakis
04-28-2008, 01:07 AM
What a beautiful and unusual bird,great forground and low angle

David Steele
04-28-2008, 02:57 AM
One of your best Vincent. I like the low angle and the colours.

Cindy Cone
04-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Very well done, Vincent. I like the composition, OOF foreground and background, as well as the low point of view.

Arthur Morris
04-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Positive elements well note above. The darkest tones are blocked up; a bit less contrast plus some SH/H would help. If you had moved one meter to your right (whilst avoiding the scorpions), the distant hill would have been better positioned (rather than competing with the bird's head as it does now.

Alfred Forns
04-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Excellent Vincent !!!!! Particularly like the soft pasted colors !!!! Agree on the slight move and opening the shadows ......... not sure If I would be on the ground with the scorpions around !!!!!!!!!!

Fabs Forns
04-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Moving to the right was the first thing that cam to my mind when I saw this. Beautiful looking bird that could go a tad lighter. Love the dreamy surroundings :)

Philip Lombard
04-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Well, I like the shot but the off and dof blur seems kind of to much, but some of the big guys do not seem to mind it, so very nice shot.

Vincent Grafhorst
04-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Well, I like the shot but the off and dof blur seems kind of to much, but some of the big guys do not seem to mind it, so very nice shot.

Philip you are entilted to your own opinions you know, the 'big guys'are not always right... ;)
I actually agree with you that more DOF would have improved this image, but with the BG being so far away, stopping down does not do enough to sort that out completely.

Blake Shadle
04-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Extremely well done. I really like the low perspective. Artie mentioned the distant hill competing with your subject's head and I have to agree. Moving (if able) would help to solve that. What really makes this image for me is the two small pieces of foliage reaching up out the OOF foreground. Love it.

Chris Dodds
04-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Scorpions? Yikes!

Lovely image of this lovely bird. Others have made some useful suggestions.