PDA

View Full Version : Coot on water (2)

Miguel Palaviccini
01-21-2013, 12:13 PM
There were two groups of coots, one in the open water, and the other closer to the tall grass. The coots from the first group would take off, one by one, to reach the second group. They would continue until one decided to break the trend, about 15 at a time. Total action time was about 20 seconds. Then, about 10 minutes later, the whole thing would start again. The trick, at least for me, was to pick one and follow it all the way through.

I made a conscious decision to stay ahead of group one, allowing me to have more time with them coming at me - as opposed to flying away from me. I later bumped the ISO to 3200 and got a bit faster SS.

Edit: Not an ideal head angle. Also, this was taken at Viera Wetlands right after a trip to Merritt Island.

Shooting Info:
Nikon D800 | 500 f/4
1/1250" | f/4 | ISO 2000

Comments and critiques are appreciated.

Rachel Hollander
01-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi Miguel - nice job getting the action sharp. I agree with your self-critique on the HA. I am of two minds as to whether I would have preferred it a bit in front of the action rather than with it slightly past you because I really like the trailing water splash. I'm not sure about your ethics of clean-up but I find the red spot behind the splash slightly distracting. Nice job overall.

TFS,
Rachel

gail bisson
01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
This is a very cool coot shot!
I like the splash and the fact that there is more color in the water in this image than the last.
I do wish the coot was not passed you although that would mean I wouldn't see the nice feather pattern on the back.
I agree with you re: the HA issue.
I see a red blob in the BG that could go,
Gail
This place is definitely worth another visit with better light!

Dan Busby
01-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Nice action shot Miguel. This is a shot I have tried many times to get. Relatively sharp for the SS you used. Nice water action and wing position.

Karl Egressy
01-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Nice dynamic shot, Miguel. I'm not quite sure about the framing. However, it is a matter of choice.

dankearl
01-21-2013, 08:55 PM
This is better than the first.
Better IQ, I don't mind the HA at all.
It has color, action and nice exposure.