PDA

View Full Version : Black & Orange Flycatcher l Male

Varun Bellie
01-21-2013, 11:54 AM

It's one among the 16 Western Ghats Endemic Birds found here in India...they are such cute fellows that one can never get tired off..
Almost Full frame image...the bird was in low lit area..

Tech specs : AV mode , Evaluative metering, iso : 640, EC = -1 stop( I could have increased the iso to 800 which is the max I shoot), Av: f/5, 1/80 sec, Flash on ettl mode, FEC = -2 stops
Equipment : Canon 7D, Canon 500mm f/4 , 600EX RT Flash, Better Beamer.

supreet.sahoo
01-21-2013, 02:12 PM
The increase in ISO would have only meant more noise which is already visible on the bird. The B&O FC is truly a western ghat beauty and one can never get tired of photographing them. Having said that arent they common around a certain area in Ooty where they can be photographed in plenty. For a lot of reasons Im opposed to using flash for birds in any condition but at the end of the day its the photographers choice.

On a positive note I really like the shinny feathers here and the nice DOF. A good image at the end and deserves a clap! Thanks for sharing Varun

PhilCook
01-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Lovely pose and detail, very nice looking little bird and stands out well against the background, I find it a little over flashed, only a little though, but would prefer a duller more natural lighting look

gail bisson
01-21-2013, 03:43 PM
I love the colors of this cutie!
I wish the perch wasn't so large as it overwhelms the bird.
I think the flash work is very good and the IQ of the bird is excellent,
Gail

Dan Busby
01-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Vary cute little bird Varun, TFS. Very nice detail, colour and eye contact. It seems a bit over-flashed to me. I would like to see a little more room at bottom and a smaller branch for perch.

Karl Egressy
01-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Qute little colourful bird, nice background, The perch looks overwhelming.

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Back in the day, I remember searching this bird and never finding it. You got a great opportunity. Nice details. Liked the open bill. Well done, Varun. Good execution.