PDA

View Full Version : Crowned Prince

supreet.sahoo
01-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Hoopoe - Im still waiting to photograph this fella with its crown wide open !! A very shy bird and will seldom let you come close.
Canon 7D, 420mm
1/800, 200, 5.6, 0 step

PhilCook
01-21-2013, 03:24 AM
Amazing looking bird and I like the dorsal view showing all the patterning, that long beak is very impressive, as you say better if crest is fully extended....maybe next time :S3: My only thought was the backdrop, it looks lavender in color rather that I presume a blue sky

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-21-2013, 04:12 AM
Great pose and lovely bird, I agree the BG looks a bit unnatural.

supreet.sahoo
01-21-2013, 04:54 AM
For some reason my laptop screen doesnt seem to be calibrated properly for the colors, the same looks nice light blue but when seen on a pc screen looks lavendar like you guys have suggested!! What to do here ?

girisholeti
01-21-2013, 05:29 AM
One of my fav bird. When you do Levels correction in photoshop, hold the Alt (windows) or option (Mac) to see if you are clipping any color channels. This way you will get near correct colors on even uncalibrated monitors.

supreet.sahoo
01-21-2013, 07:25 AM
One of my fav bird. When you do Levels correction in photoshop, hold the Alt (windows) or option (Mac) to see if you are clipping any color channels. This way you will get near correct colors on even uncalibrated monitors.

Hi Girish,

Thanks for the info, this really helped. Just to be sure of what i have done please let me know how the bottom image looks compared to the previous post.

Simon Wantling
01-21-2013, 07:54 AM
The repost looks fantastic. Wonderful birds and never seen one myself.

Stu Bowie
01-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Hi Supreet, just to make you jealous, I have these guys common in my garden. Having said that, I dont have a decent image of them. :e3 These guys are very attractive, and love their colour. Good DOF in the overall image. Your repost has sorted out the strange sky in your OP.

supreet.sahoo
01-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Hi Supreet, just to make you jealous, I have these guys common in my garden. Having said that, I dont have a decent image of them. :e3 These guys are very attractive, and love their colour. Good DOF in the overall image. Your repost has sorted out the strange sky in your OP.

Stuart, good one :) I was checking some links on how photoshop can skew some colors while saving for the web and im really surprised that color is such a vast subject. Having said that Im glad that I posted this with some really poor editing and now there in something new to learn. Thank you all for the suggestion and help, specially Girish for the tip !!

Miguel Palaviccini
01-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Supreet - the repost looks much improved!

Rachel Hollander
01-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Rp works very well, nice detail and sharpness.

TFS,
Rachel

Sidharth Kodikal
01-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Very nice IQ and pose. Like the comp too. Such a cool species. I remember them being fairly easy to see growing up. But on my last trip to India, I couldn't find one on any of my outings :(

Re. color calibrating, if calibration hardware is not an option, there are simpler (quick and dirty :) option available.
For e.g. If you're using Windows, it comes with a program called "Calibrate your display" that walks you through controls to get your colors right.
Of course, it's not hardware calibration; it is still visual, but it is helpful.
Macs also come with such a program built in. Don't remember the name off hand.