PDA

View Full Version : Fan-tailed Cuckoo

PhilCook
01-20-2013, 04:48 PM
An occasional migrant to my part of Oz and sometimes I heard one or two calling from the forest, but it took 3 years to finally get an image. This was a single bird I heard calling and could see it high in the trees, and for a few days I hoped it would come closer, eventually early one morning it ventured closer and perched atop a post calling , fired off a few shots before he flew off to a low tree.......woohoo !

Personally I prefer the post perch shots, but this is one from the small tree nearby.

Canon 7D + 500 f4......f6.3, 1/160, ISO 200, no flash on purpose.........tripod mounted shot, cropped to vertical, cloned out some background oof curly sticks for a smooth backdrop, selective sharpen and noise reduction to backdrop

Randy Stout
01-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Phil:

Very nice singing pose, like the yellow eye ring and red mouth. Nice display of tail. Perch is a nice scale for him. Comp works for me.

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
01-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Congrats on getting this guy - 3 years is a long wait. Lovely colors on the bird (yes to the yellow eye and red mouth), and the bg. Good comp, great singing pose.

dankearl
01-20-2013, 07:28 PM
The eye, mouth and tail are really attractive.
Another great looking bird, do you ever run out?

Arthur Morris
01-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Confused by the perch stories but love the posted image. Love the calling pose, the open bill, the sharpness, and the BKGR. Flash might have helped by lightening the shadows.

Greg Oakley
01-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Lovely calling pose image, Phil - I know what you mean - these guys are really hard to get close to (they love calling away in a dark secluded spot!)... Well done,
Cheers, Greg

Satish Ranadive
01-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Phil:
Magnificent image.
Love the calling pose,beautiful colors,sharpness,BG and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

PhilCook
01-21-2013, 02:52 AM
Thanks for looking everyone, one a a few varieties of Cuckoos here in Australia I have photographed

Stu Bowie
01-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Hi Phil, it seems you got lucky with this guy, and on a lovely thin perch, even though you say the post perch is better. I like the calling pose with the open beak, and you have brought out the finer plumage nicely. Perfect placement in the frame. You used your opportunity very well.

Tim King
01-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Stunning image in all respects.