PDA

View Full Version : Coot runs on water!

Miguel Palaviccini
01-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Just got back from Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. Overcast all day, so high ISO were required. I had a lot of fun trying out new things today. I stuck with Manual the entire day and hand held the 500, never once reaching for the tripod. I added four more species to my life-list :)

This was one of my favorites from the day. It's by no means a rare bird, but it's the first time I was able to capture one running on water. I got the hang of when they would take off and was able to get in position to get some keepers. I guess it helps to pay attention.

Shooting info:
Nikon D800 | 500 f/4
1/2500 | f/4 | ISO 3200

Comments and critiques are appreciated.

Stu Bowie
01-20-2013, 01:09 AM
Hi Miguel, this is what I call perfect timing. Im not sure if he was chasing another coot, or being chased, but they will just take off and if you arent ready immediadiately, they will have 'run' a few steps across the water before you take your first shot. Love the raised foot and wings, and the high key works well too. Isnt it fun to experiment when you have subjects at hand all the time.

dankearl
01-20-2013, 03:37 AM
Nice shot, Miguel, not an easy photo to get.
Good sharpness, nice high key look, and nice job at 3200.
What do you mean by, "I stuck with Manual"?
How else do you shoot?

Miguel Palaviccini
01-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Nice shot, Miguel, not an easy photo to get.
Good sharpness, nice high key look, and nice job at 3200.
What do you mean by, "I stuck with Manual"?
How else do you shoot?

I learned to shoot in Manual, then switched over to Aperture Priority when I started birding (as suggested to me by a fellow photographer). I got pretty good at changing the EV on the fly to achieve good exposures. If the light was even, I would occasionally go back to Manual.

Nick Palmieri
01-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Great capture. Your timing is perfect. Exposure looks good.

Randy Stout
01-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Miguel:

Really excellent timing, angle in frame,pose.

Even though I know it was something in the water, I would clean up the brown areas just above the head. Since your eyes go right to the head 1st, it makes the brown more noticeable there.

Good idea to do extended practice, force yourself out of your comfort zone.

Sorry this took so long. I was half way through typing it when we lost power due to a winter storm.

Generator going.

Cheers

Randy

Gary Esman
01-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Rounding 3rd and heading for home! Great action shot. Always wanted to get one of these. Like the high key look also.

Gary.

Jim Neiger
01-20-2013, 11:45 AM
I like the way you got both feet visible. I'm not a fan of the high key bg and the head of the coot looks a wee bit soft to me.

Bill Dix
01-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Great to get a shot of one of these guys with his huge feet showing. Good timing for the running pose. I do like the high-key myself, but also thought a little more sharpness on the head might help.

Miguel Palaviccini
01-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks a lot for the comments! I went ahead and took your suggestions: sharpen head and remove color above the head. Below is the repost with a slight crop adjustment as well. Looks better in my eyes. Thanks again.

Bill Dix
01-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Definitely an improvement, Miguel. Those subtle changes can sometimes make a big difference. Great shot.