PDA

View Full Version : Razorbills in Florida

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Possibly due to hurricane Sandy, these poor guys got a little off course and Florida has had a major explosion of Razorbills coming thru.I have never seen one before so I jumped at the chance for a two hour drive to spot and photograph one. They are still being seen but sadly we are also finding them washed up on our shores dead. The theories vary but seems maybe they just aren't adapting to our climate and or food supply. I can only hope they make it back home wherever they should be.
Exposure was very difficult as the sun was getting high bye the time they came in close enough and most of my shots were very dark around the eye area as I was trying to avoid blowing the whites. I was happy with this one
Canon 1DMIV
500mm f4lens
ISO 640 F8@1/3200

dankearl
01-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Very nice to jump and get this Cheryl.
I like the wave it is riding, the drop and the sharpness of the bird.
Maybe another round of NR on the BG?

Randy Stout
01-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Cheryl:

I like the turbulent water, sharpness, drop in front.

Interesting and sad story about them being stranded.

Worth the trip in my mind

Cheers

Randy

gail bisson
01-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Hi Cheryl,
It is always exciting to see a new species.
I like the IQ and the drop of water in front of the bill.
I like that I can just see the trailing foot under water.
Gail

Grace Scalzo
01-19-2013, 09:19 PM
I was wondering how they were faring in FL. Sad to hear that some aren't making it. I love your image...beautiful green water, falling drop is a nice element. The whites look like they are holding up quite well.

Julie Brown
01-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Nice work, Cheryl. I like the color of the water and how the bird is in a wave trough. It gives the background some depth. Sad new about the deaths.

Robert Holguin
01-20-2013, 12:22 AM
Terrific shot!!
Exposed very well, great pose, really like the comp, and love the water drop.
Very well done.

Stu Bowie
01-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Hi Cheryl, interesting story, and I hope they manage to re-navigate back to their own enviroment. I do like the exposure in this, good eye, and well timed to capture the large droplet falling off the bill. Love the colour of the water, and that he is riding a wave.

Shawn Zierman
01-20-2013, 03:33 AM
Very nice! I certainly don't think Razorbills, when I think Florida birds....
The water movement is a particularly appealing aspect to the image.
A slight head turn to the bird's right would have been nice here.

Nick Palmieri
01-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Nice capture. I like the drop of water off the bill. Nice job with the exposure.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks everybody. I am surprised no one addressed a rotation issue. After posting I see that maybe needs a cw rotation? Anyone agree?

Grace Scalzo
01-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Cheryl, I never find that birds in rolling water need to be level. This one looks fine to me given the shape of the waves.