PDA

View Full Version : Another Elephant Seal

Andreas Liedmann
01-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Just another closeup study of my elephant seal collection, with quite some nice colors and contrast, too heavy?

Tell me your thoughts !!

Canon EOS 1D MK III
EF 70 - 200 2,8 IS L at 200mm
HH

F8 ; 1/320sec ; ISO 250

Processed in RPP and PS CS6 ; cropped to 65 % of FF

Thanks for watching and appreciate the comments.

Cheers Andreas

Roman Kurywczak
01-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Hey Andreas,
Looks pretty good contrast wise on my end.....maybe a touch over sharpened? I like your presentation on this one so let's see what others chime in!

Robert Amoruso
01-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Andreas,

My suggestion here is that you could have used a higher ISO, say 1600 and gone with smaller aperture and more DOF. Canon 1D Mark III is very capability at ISO 1600.

Rachel Hollander
01-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Hi Andreas - I also think you needed more dof here. The lhs as viewed is sharper than the rhs as viewed. I'm curious as to where the af point was and if that skewed the dof slightly. Colors and contrast look good to me.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
01-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Color and contrast look good. DOF also looks ok me. Lots of texture in this one between the skin of the seal and the coarse sand of the beach, so will probably be differing opinions on the sharpening. Would've cropped a little tighter on the left (as viewed) and provided a touch more on the opposite side.

Steve Kaluski
01-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi Andreas, if it was me, I might have gone more central for a symmetrical look & feel. I think as presented, I agree with Steve C, some off the LHS. Looking at it, I assume the FP was on the left eye as viewed, hence the right side being a little softer? I think you could have afforded more ISO and then also to have increased the DOF, although f/8 seems to have given you some nice detail/DOF. Re contrast, I think it's a little too much, especially in the darker areas, but I know you like contrasty images.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
01-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks to all of you viewers and commenters for watching and leaving a comment.

Steve and Steve - had a crop that you suggested , but wanted to go off the unwritten law ( hello Steve K.) of symmetrical comp.Looks good too, maybe better , but i tried this because the look of the seal goes slightly out of the frame .

Steve - like the contrast , leave it like this , unless you say the dark areas look choked, then i would change it.

Rachel , Steve; Steve, Roman and Robert - agree about the DOF , could have been deeper for better look- next time , still learning.

Thanks again and cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
01-20-2013, 05:11 PM
A very interesting study, Andreas. I like the colours a lot - assume it's blood on his RHS (our LHS)?
Agree on the DOF and it looking a bit oversharpened (particularly the dirt around his head).
Contrast works for me as presented. Not too stressed about the asymmetrical look here, I actually like it...

Dumay de Boulle
01-24-2013, 08:37 AM
I like this one a ;to. I love the crop and the amazing texture...Very nice Andreas!