PDA

View Full Version : Bald eagle

arash_hazeghi
01-19-2013, 02:35 PM
This is another frame from Alaska trip with Jim, I hope you like it

1D4 600mm f/4 1/1250sec ISO 1600 handheld

see large size here (http://ari1982.smugmug.com/Avian/Raptors/Bald-Eagle/26364793_mKB2Rz#!i=2211001932&k=bQdgq7P&lb=1&s=O)

Julie Brown
01-19-2013, 03:31 PM
The wingspread is just perfect. Gorgeous feather detail. The exposure looks spot on.:S3:

gail bisson
01-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Hi Arash,
This is great! It looks even better when you have a black BG. (Capt James Mark II style).
Terrific topside view and IQ is spectacular as always. The opposing diagonals of wing and mountainside are neat,
Gail

Sidharth Kodikal
01-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Sweet pose, Arash. I love the diagonal and the mountain bg. The HD version is killer with terrific details. I've added Haines to my ever-growing bucket list :)

PhilCook
01-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Showing the wing spread beautifully and sits in the frame well...........larger size looks great but I'm not sure on the indistinct white tail merging with the bright backdrop, I had to look twice to work out what it was.

Randy Stout
01-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Arash:

Excellent pose, wing spread, feather details, determined look. I also found the tail a bit hard to see against the bright white bg.

The BG gives it a sense of depth often missing in flying shots, but I might consider very slightly softening the larges dark area lower right.

It really does sound like a magical place.

Cheers

Randy

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Would you just look at those massive wings? wow. Great detail on them as well Arash. You did well separating the tail feathers from the sky and I like the marbled BG

Loi Nguyen
01-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Hi Arash,

a spectacular imag of bald eagle with beautiful top wing and details. The exposure of the bird head is perfect against the snow top mountains. The only thing that perhaps could make this image better would be to see the white tail!

Grace Scalzo
01-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Intense pose, I can feel the power of the dive. Well done on conveying a sense of place. Your exposure and composition are brilliant

arash_hazeghi
01-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys, on my screen there is enough distinction between the tail and BG and the tail is quite visible. If your screen is not calibrated accurately for whites or if you are using a laptop screen it may be hard to see the difference but if you measure the RGB values in PhotoShop you will see that they are different.

thanks!

Loi Nguyen
01-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys, on my screen there is enough distinction between the tail and BG and the tail is quite visible. If your screen is not calibrated accurately for whites or if you are using a laptop screen it may be hard to see the difference but if you measure the RGB values in PhotoShop you will see that they are different.

thanks!

Arash, sorry about my comment regarding the tail. You are right, I was looking this image from an iPAD. Good lesson.

arash_hazeghi
01-19-2013, 10:28 PM
To illustrate this point, you can open the image in Photoshop and use the eye dropper tool to read the RGB values on the tail, it reads 246. The BG is clipped at 255, so the two have sufficient difference in brightness/tonality.

The main issue here is that inexpensive LCDs (especially laptops, ipad, netbooks etc. ) can only display 6 Bits of brightness per color level even though the display driver is 8 bit per color, therefore the tail will be lost in the BG because they cannot distinguish between the subtle brightness levels. If the display is set too bright which is often the case it will also not show the subtle tones

I wish the eagle had banked against color and I have a few like that but what made this image interesting for me was the position of the talons :)

Stu Bowie
01-20-2013, 12:41 AM
Hi Ari, great diagonal banking pose showing the top of the wings - well exposed in those areas too. Nicely separated from the BG, shows how high he is.

Robert Holguin
01-20-2013, 01:24 AM
Terrific shot!!
Exposurre is spot on, excellent details, terrific pose, and nice background.
Very well done.