PDA

View Full Version : Before the light - Bosque

Kerry Perkins
01-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Another pre-dawn scene from Bosque del Apache NWR. I rarely use my tripod, but the very cold mornings (20˚F) at Bosque are an exception. In fact, I use an RF remote system (Hahnel Giga T Pro II) to trigger the shutter so I don't have to touch the camera with my freezing fingers. I can stand behind the camera, set for live view, and have my hands warmly stowed in my armpits while I push the button.

Topaz DeNoise, Detail, and Adjust used on this one. I know it is tempting to suggest cropping from the bottom, but I think the strong reflections in the water of the foreground really add to the image and contribute to the sense of scale. What do you folks think?

Dennis Bishop
01-19-2013, 01:24 PM
I like this, including the bottom. There's no way I'd crop the bottom. However, instead of having such intense blacks, there, I'd be inclined to lighten them ever so slightly. I think I would crop from the top -- enough to bring the horizon to a divine proportions (as shown) or rule-of-thirds location. The top part of the sky has much less drama, and I like the panorama format for this scene.

Paul Lagasi
01-19-2013, 02:20 PM
I love the color of the sky, I would be tempted to crop (or clone in) so the black in the bottom right hand corner was gone, leaving only the reflective color. A bit from the top would work, also. Tough call....TFS

Maureen Allen
01-19-2013, 04:29 PM
I love this as presented Kerry. The silhouettes of the two birds are such a nice touch.

Cheryl Slechta
01-19-2013, 06:52 PM
I think I like the OP, Kerry. (Are you sure you weren't using a very long remote switch and sitting in a heated car:wave:)

Anita Bower
01-20-2013, 08:32 AM
I love the colors set off by the blacks. I completely agree that no crop off the bottom should occur. I like those lower reflections. Beautiful textures and shapes. I like both the OP and Dennis' version. For me, the birds are too small to add to the image and I would eliminate them. Beautifully captured. Braving the cold was worth it.

Bob Miller
01-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Hi kerry,,,I prefer the original crop....I also agree with either cropping or cloning the bottom right darkness. Also the bird is to small I would take it out!

Kerry Perkins
01-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Thank you all!