PDA

View Full Version : Fasciated Antshrike

Richard Unsworth
01-19-2013, 12:25 PM
:S3:

At edge of the forest I waited patiently for a family of these to emerge; a long hot wait as they seldom break out of cover for long.
They have an additive voice which you can learn to call to them.

The juicy caterpillaer is an obvious bonus; BG a bit busy but thats where you fin:t3 them
I cropped to about 70, reset black and white points and took blue off with sel sat.
Noise reduction and sharpening

Canon 7d 100-400 F5.6 1/40 TRIPOD ISO 400

Richard Unsworth
01-19-2013, 01:54 PM
True, pruned methinks. thanks for critique:S3:

Gary Esman
01-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Interesting looking guy. Nice and sharp and the caterpillar certainly adds interest. Cool looking eye.

Gary.

gail bisson
01-19-2013, 04:13 PM
I am not a flash expert but I think fill flash would have really helped you here. In fact, I think you must become an expert in flash when dealing with "jungle " birds.
I like the caterpillar in the mouth and agree the BG is busy. Very unusual looking bird and a new species for me so thanks for showing!:S3:
Gail

Richard Unsworth
01-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks Gail

too true re flash next time I visit I will be carrying; tried onboard fill that day but didnt get it right

Satish Ranadive
01-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Beautiful image in environment.Very nice pose,colors and details.
Seeing for the first time,it looks like Asian koel,female with some difference.TFS.

Regards,
Satish.

PhilCook
01-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Wonderful markings on this bird, one I have never seen before. Personally I like the backdrop with the glossy colored leaves, quite natural = I like natural :S3: I'm curious about flash use or not here, I rather thought the light/shadows looked very good as is with plenty of detail as it is ?

The only thing that I find a bit of a shame is there seems to be something out of focus in front of the beak creating a haze in that area { selective darkening contrast tweak on just the beak may help that }

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Neat looking bird and yes the catterpillar is a plus. Bg may be busy but the different colors help set off the bird well.

Karl Egressy
01-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Cool loking bird and the food item in the beak is a big bonus. The sense of its habitat shown in the background is nice.

Richard Unsworth
01-20-2013, 03:05 AM
Wonderful markings on this bird, one I have never seen before. Personally I like the backdrop with the glossy colored leaves, quite natural = I like natural :S3: I'm curious about flash use or not here, I rather thought the light/shadows looked very good as is with plenty of detail as it is ?

The only thing that I find a bit of a shame is there seems to be something out of focus in front of the beak creating a haze in that area { selective darkening contrast tweak on just the beak may help that }

good suggestion and worth a look. Shutter speed very low and POF not on beak - DOF very shallow, all conspire
I have one fabadusi shot of this species, whixh is available you know where lol