PDA

View Full Version : Rockhopper Penguin

Mike Milicia
01-18-2013, 06:37 PM
EOS-1D X, 500mm f/4L IS, 1/2500, f/5.6, ISO 800

Rockhopper emerging from the surf ... photographed last month during the Shoot The Light Falkland Islands workshop.

gail bisson
01-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi Mike,
Another awesome shot! You must have to be incredibly quick to catch these guys as they come out of the surf.
I like the vertical comp and the layer of water on the back.The whites and blacks are exposed perfectly.
You also got a nice HA. The big crashing wave behind the penguin really gives a sense of the rough seas without taking away from the penguin.
Gail

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-18-2013, 09:01 PM
sweet shot Mike . I like the story it tells of this guy coming back into land after a nice swim. If this were my image I might be tempted to crop some of the empty space from the top of the frame.

Randy Stout
01-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Mike:

Excellent timing, neat pose, like the water pouring off him, what a well adapted creature.

I appreciate Cheryl's point about the room on top, but my guess is you left it so to strengthen the feeling for the big wave, which is stronger with the top of the wave showing.

Cheers

Randy

gary ellwein
01-18-2013, 09:56 PM
The image shouts action with water droplets flying from the penguin, water draining from the rocks and the large wave crashing in the bg. Techs are spot on. IMHO a bit from the top would not diminish the effect of the crashing wave.

dankearl
01-19-2013, 12:16 AM
Very nice environment photo, Mike, The penguin looks great, nice crashing surf, gives a real feel for the conditions.

Karl Egressy
01-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Love your Pinquin series and this is no exeption, Mike. Exposure looks perfect. Love the background created by the crushing surf.