PDA

View Full Version : Article: The Ethics of Wildlife Photography

Melissa Groo
01-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Thought some might find this recent article of interest, from The Wildlife Society:

The Ethics of Wildlife Photography: Sticky Questions for the Digital Age

http://news.wildlife.org/twp/2012-winter/the-ethics-of-wildlife-photography/

PhilCook
01-18-2013, 08:33 PM
A good read, and always a controversial subject in many aspects, and something many of us struggle with, personally I struggle with what is classed as truly wild in photography.

dankearl
01-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Thanks for posting this Melissa, interesting read.
I guess I never considered this hobby to be lucrative enough for people to engage in some of the things
described in the article.
I think most all the photographer's on this site seem pretty upfront with their photos, I have never really thought
that anything I have seen here seemed unethical or misleading.
I think the members and especially the moderators here are too sharp to be mislead or fooled by technical malpractice.
I also have never felt that the members on this site are doing this for exploitation.
One of the reasons I enjoy this forum.

Don Lacy
01-19-2013, 06:19 AM
I think the members and especially the moderators here are too sharp to be mislead or fooled by technical malpractice.
Many images on this site are manipulated in ways that would disqualify them from most competition including my own some declare what manipulation was done in post other don't. The same goes with baiting, calls, and decoys which is also widely used and infrequently stated.

Dave Mills
01-19-2013, 12:15 PM
I frankly have no idea why a photographer should state that an area was baited or calls were used. These are attraction techniques which have nothing to do with image alteration...

Don Lacy
01-19-2013, 02:48 PM
I frankly have no idea why a photographer should state that an area was baited or calls were used. These are attraction techniques which have nothing to do with image alteration...
Dave, The ethics of baiting and other attraction techniques were questioned in the article.

Dave Mills
01-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Hey Don, read the full article and recognized some real issues. It also brought up some points which I found to be not worth attention. A mixed bag IMO...

Roger Clark
01-19-2013, 04:13 PM
... are manipulated in ways that would disqualify them from most competition... The same goes with baiting, calls, and decoys which is also widely used and infrequently stated.

I agree. To me there is a big difference in calling in/baiting an animal, versus working to be as unobtrusive as possible and catching the action that would have happened that way even if no one was there. One can still get the animal looking at you, as they scan their environment. It increases the challenge to not use calls and/or bait.

Roger

Dennis Zaebst
01-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Here's another article on birding ethics...which I think is worth reading. I posted this awhile back here but can't find it now.
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

Thanks Melissa!

PhilCook
01-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Here's another article on birding ethics...which I think is worth reading. I posted this awhile back here but can't find it now.
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

Thanks Melissa!

I think this shorter version sums it up nicely....and one of the statements made is something I worry about............ " 3(c) If you are attracting birds to an area, ensure the birds are not exposed to predation from cats and other domestic animals, or dangers posed by artificial hazards. "

Many a backyard bird feeder or bird bath becomes a magnet for predators like domestic cats on the loose { a big problem in Australia }

A woman across the road from me has 2 cats that wander at will.....the other woman next door to her has a bird batch in the front yard.....the birds enjoy it....and the cats see it as easy killings judging by the regular piles of half eaten carcases and feathers nearby.

Grace Scalzo
01-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Thanks, Melissa. Always worth stopping and examining our own field practices and this was a good read.