PDA

View Full Version : Chestnut-colored Woodpecker

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Hello every one!
Coming back to this great site after a lot of work (thank God for that!)

This is a common WP in our Caribbean low lands, but a bit squittish at the same time, I was lucky to have this one posing for me for a very short time, the bird came to visit a feeder in the early morning so light levels were pretty low.

1DMK3
300f/4@6.3
ISO800
1/100sec.
CS 5
Tripod
Fill Flash
I added canvas on top.​

Comments and crittiques welcome.

Kiran Poonacha
01-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Loved this bird.. nice tame light and BG here Juan..

Jim Neiger
01-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Cool bird, pose, bg, and composition. Maybe a bit over saturated.

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Juan, I can hear you man. I also haven't been able to find time for photography in a long time.

Terrific comp. and colors. Good job getting parallel. That is one heck of a canvas-addition job.

If mine, I'd do a round of sharpening.

Uri First
01-18-2013, 03:23 PM
beautiful bird. beautiful colours. I would like to see some more space on the right.

Matthew Studebaker
01-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Loved this bird.. nice tame light and BG here Juan..
I agree. Beautiful species too.

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Juan, I can hear you man. I also haven't been able to find time for photography in a long time.

Terrific comp. and colors. Good job getting parallel. That is one heck of a canvas-addition job.

If mine, I'd do a round of sharpening.

Thanks a lot kaustubh!
In fact this is a very large crop so I am afraid that if I sharpen it even more is going to look terrible, but I see your point and is valid of course. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

PhilCook
01-18-2013, 06:39 PM
What an amazing looking bird, I'm really quite envious of the variety of Woodpeckers over seas, none exist here sadly. Lovely natural pose and clear eye as well. Very good use of flash, always nicest when it is not obvious flash was used. My only thought would be to tone back the background color a little, it looks a little over color saturated I feel

Randy Stout
01-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Juan Carlos:

A striking bird, love his grip on the trunk, rich colors of bird. Def. a nice job on canvas extension.

I do agree with others that it looks a bit oversaturated. You were there of course, so you get to make the call.

Glad to see you back!

Cheers

Randy

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Funny that several folks find the image over sat! to me this represents what I saw when I made the pic, I darkened the BG a tad since it was lighter, may be that's giving the sence of over saturation to the overall image.
Thanks any ways for your feed back, I will repost this image again to see what I can get! :)

Melissa Groo
01-18-2013, 07:29 PM
What a sensational looking woodpecker. Great job, Juan Carlos, given the low light conditions. I really like your composition too.

Satish Ranadive
01-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Juan:
Excellent image of beautiful WP.Very nice composition with lovely BG. Colors looks fine to me. Nice use of Flash.
Love the frame.

Regards,
Satish.

Richard Unsworth
01-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Envious of this one Juan, never seen one, but did see and photograph the similar Cinammon WP, two in same frame, in Panama.
Great job on the CA, COLOR color is striking but pretty much as expected. Not too many shots like this around; good catch and well done