PDA

View Full Version : Kgalagadi leopard

Chris van Rooyen
01-18-2013, 12:22 PM
We encountered this young female leopard in December 2011 near Leeuwdril in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.

Camera Model: NIKON D3S
Date/Time: 2011:12:22 07:18:17
Shutter speed: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: 7.1
Exposure mode: Manual
Exposure compensation: -1/3
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 1400
Lens: 600mm

Brendon Cremer
01-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Stunning image great light and colours, i really like the space and comp as well, altogether another stunner from you Chris.

Rachel Hollander
01-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Hi Chris - I agree this works very well. Looks like she might not have been completely comfortable with vehicles. One minor point, looks like there is a sharpening halo along the top of the upper horizontal branch.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
01-19-2013, 12:49 AM
hey Chris
a stunning shot incorporating so much of what the Kgalagadi is about - the camelthorns, the dunes and the special sightings - love everything about this and the eye contact rocks it
I've yet to see a leopard in KTP after 9 trips in 4 years...

incidentally we were there at the end of November 2011 so we just missed each other...
good to see you posting
:5

Loi Nguyen
01-19-2013, 01:04 AM
Hi Chris, I'm a newbie here, but I love this image. It's stunningly beautiful with the sharpness of the subject, the tree, and the sweet light and colors. The leopard high on the tree was balanced by the green vegetation on the ground, which makes the composition unique.

Chris van Rooyen
01-19-2013, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the comments and critiques everyone, it certainly was a magical moment and setting. She spent the better part of two days in the tree, sleeping most of the time. Morkel I hope your luck changes soon, I'm sure its just a matter of time :)

Steve Kaluski
01-19-2013, 04:40 AM
Hi Chris, nice to see you posting in this area of the Forum too. :cheers:

Firstly I think the image shows you don't always have to shoot close-up with a long lens, it can also provide excellent environment/habitat images too, nice vision. The arching trunk provides a strong element for the composition, but also a good viewing platform for the subject. Th long lens has provided a great diffused BKG where it needs to be and your position has ensured no clutter behind the subject, not always easy, but you've pulled it off here Chris. I also like the ratio of space & subject vertically.

In relation to the image, I just wonder if there is a little too much yellow coming through, dropping the yellow and upping the black in the Yellow channel and dropping a little yellow in the Whites for the fur in Selective Colour personally, just tweaks it a bit more and adds a little more to the overall colour? You could also just add a few points of Black in the Neutrals & Black using the same adjustment layer, just a thought.

Hope to see more Chris.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
01-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Hi Chris ,
like the image as presented in general .
If there is something, i would follow Steve for color suggestions.
And maybe losing the top of the frame with the blue sky.

I like the framed Leopard a lot.

TFS Andreas

Mark Wiseman
01-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Hi Chris,
I like your image as presented. Beautiful subject well captured in wonderful light. The diagonal lines of the camelthorn trees add IMHO.
TFS and best wishes,
Mark.