PDA

View Full Version : Jumping the Creek

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Same youngster as here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/106083

We were able to get in the truck and quickly drive the road to get a bit past him.....then scramble to get the gear out on time to catch a few as he ran through a field, jumping the small flow. He was headed straight for a female and I'd estimate he got her scent form about 1/2 mile away or more.

ISO 640 @ f/6.3 for 1/1000 sec. Saved at 59 quality to fit.

I buy my gear from Hunt's Photo and Video a BPN advertiser.

Steve Kaluski
01-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Hi Roman, this guy has certainly performed for you, nice one.

Love the slight leap over the brook, but in an ideal world be nice if it was a little more out stretched with those front legs. Looks like the light was a little harsh, but you controlled it nicely, any more room all round? Slightly tweaking the mid tones in Curves adds a bit more depth to the body/coat & a slight tweak in the Exposure around 80% Opacity does help, I think with the FG grasses. Nice to see something different.

Techs look good, however was he fortunate once he caught up with the female? :bg3: Look forward to more.

RP on it's way to you to ponder on.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
01-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Hi Roman - Almost looks like he is smiling. Nice timing to capture the leap. The light looks like it was harsh and you've handled it well, though I might burn the back legs a bit. Nice shine to the moose. Would be interested to see how Steve's suggested tweaks turn out.

TFS,
Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2013, 01:27 PM
I must have made it look brighter in the post.....it was about an hour before sunset! I've tried the tweaks suggested. I think it looks better.....and need to stop working on my laptop!
Alas Steve......poor fellow never did get the girl. Afraid his rack just wasn't to her liking!!! He did sure try though :).

Andreas Liedmann
01-18-2013, 01:51 PM
.....and need to stop working on my laptop!
.[/QUOTE]

Kind of right, Roman.

Like this one a lot, with a nice dynamic pose , even without more stretched legs.
In the RP the tones and colors looks a lot better than in the OP, if you followed Steve you have done it the right way.

Would leave the image now as is.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
01-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Hi Roman, looking on my 'laptop' looks good. :bg3:

....poor fellow never did get the girl. Afraid his rack just wasn't to her liking!

Perhaps next year his luck will change. :w3

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Steve. I think I got pretty close to your suggestions!:cheers:

I have one with the legs out further as he was preparing to jump....I just liked this position better. I also have the one where he meets the girl so may post that later. As for next year......I'm not so sure......there was a huge bull around.....although never got a clean shot of him......so for me.....maybe next year:w3.

Steve Kaluski
01-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Steve. I think I got pretty close to your suggestions!:cheers:

Hi Roman, I am only one of many here and my comments are only suggestions/observations, however if you think things have helped then great. It's nice to see others also making valuable contributions and I do think it's stemmed from people like yourself who also have made the same contributions both past & present. With hindsight and past conversations all round, it does seem that people do get a lot more out of the Forum when they also contribute to threads, as we can all learn from each other. :S3:

Brendon Cremer
01-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Hi Roman, this is a great image, i too wish for a little more space all around but if not available its not the end of the world, i have to admit i prefer the OP to the RP, i find the RP may have a slight green cast over it, or do i need to get my eyes tested? ;-)

Morkel Erasmus
01-20-2013, 05:54 PM
nice timing here Roman!
I enjoy seeing these American mammals on BPN...
Your RP looks a bit "green" to me - I liked the colour in the OP more (though I have no idea how the scene should look :e3)