PDA

View Full Version : Etosha Waterhole in Black & White

Rachel Hollander
01-18-2013, 08:47 AM
I liked the scene at this Etosha waterhole with the 3 zebras clustered together and the non-chalant lone ostrich next to them but thought with all the whites of the ground and the blacks and whites of the zebras and ostrich that it called for a black & white conversion.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 200mm
1/400
f11
ISO 400
EC +.67
HH from safari vehicle, cropped to pano, converted, levels, curves, selective dodging and burning, sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Hey Rachel,
Debating this one.....I like the choice of conversion but would like a bit more separation int eh 3 zebra. I know.....that is how they rest and watch for prey......but the heads blend in a bit. It is presenting a tad bright on my monitor but it does give the feeling of hot and desolate. I can't seem to put my finger on possible tweaks here......so I will give it some more thought and get back to you but let's see if other eyes can chime in!

Steve Kaluski
01-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi Rachel, I see you are in your 'pano' period and it seems to work with the images presented to date.

I don't have an issue with the subjects and the behavioural aspect, but this time I wonder if you could push it a bit more in the 'contrast department, ie Levels 0, 0.75, 245, but masking the heads & ostrich, plus a couple of points of black in the Neutrals & Black? Be also interested in Romans thoughts later. Crop & techs look good.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks Roman and Steve - I've gone through several different versions of this relating to the contrast/relative brightness of this. The one I posted was a little brighter and with greater tonal range than some of my earlier versions. Steve - 2 little birdies suggested I go more pano with this one so I did, cropping out some dead vegetation at the top. :w3

Here's a repost with Steve's suggested tweaks.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
01-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Hi Rachel - i am sorry have to say this image does not grab me at all.

The three zebras standing too close together , like wise the ostrich to them.On RHS one zebra is looking outward the image other one looking down.
The dead tree is good for nothing,for me. Was there ok.

But i think it is very difficult to,make this image an interesting one, at least for me.

Again sorry Rachel.
TFS Andreas

Brendon Cremer
01-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Rachel, i do like the scene and the pano crop works well, i agree with Roman that the OP is a little bright, the RP is a little better with regards to the brightness but i still find myself wanting to see the the Zabras pop a little more which would not be easy with that bg, perhaps try dropping the contrast and highlights in the bg and fg not sure if this would help but it where i would start.

Rachel Hollander
01-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys, I knew this wouldn't be everyone's cuppa as Morkel would say. I was going for a graphic feel. I've seen lots of duos of zebras resting heads and keeping watch but this was the first time I've seen 3 like this.

Thanks again, all feedback is always welcome and something is always learned.

Rachel

Steve Canuel
01-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Hi Rachel,
Seems this one haas been pretty well wrapped up critique wise but I thought I'd chip in as well. Leaving the technical suggestions aside, I find my eye drawn to the two zebras on the right and wonder if you've got enough for a vertical comp of those two?

Morkel Erasmus
01-20-2013, 03:40 PM
I like the sense of desolation here, Rachel, and your RP is much stronger for me visually and tonally.
Works for me...