PDA

View Full Version : Stumped in the Caprivi

Morkel Erasmus
01-18-2013, 02:50 AM
A moody sunset on the banks of the Chobe river in the Caprivi strip in Namibia (bordering Botswana across the water).

The light and leading lines led me to shoot this with a view of a monochrome capture (the sunset wasn't doing much in terms of colour).

I am really excited about this Wild Eye photographic safari. There is a scheduled departure almost every 2 months, and we have exclusive use of the luxury houseboat from Ichobezi River Lodges that can moor deep into the Chobe along the Namibian side, ensuring solitude at night and that we can be alone at key points in good light when others are still moored in Kasane at dawn or when they have to be out of the park's waters at dusk. :Whoa!:

Techs:
Nikon D800 with Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 14mm
f16 @ ISO-100
Blend of 3 exposures for dynamic range
Conversion done in CS5 using manual sliders

Andrew Aveley
01-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Remove those Dust Bunny Morks ;) Great scene and worth the effort waling up river a little :) Like the FG element and your interpretation :) I quite like the colour mood one I shot so yeah , was a great trip !

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Sounds exciting! Many ways you can go with this.....I've debated lightening the FG trunk. I like all the way the elements flow int he image including the clouds. My only recommendation is to magically prune the grasses/weeds along the edge of the bank on the RH edge......other than that (and dust bunnies....but I am usually guilty of that too)......works for me.

Robert Amoruso
01-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Morkel,

Nice composition. Vertical perfect for the look it brings to the leading lines. I agree on evacuation of weeds on right side.

Did you do any perspective correction on this one?

Don Lacy
01-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Love the BW conversion lends a nice dramatic feel to the image, great comp with the placement of the elements within the frame.

Morkel Erasmus
02-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Thanks guys.

Robert, I think I did... :e3