PDA

View Full Version : Differing screen views ?

PhilCook
01-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Something that puzzles me, I have both Elements 8 and CS4 for my editing programs, using Elements most of the time.

Both programs are set up in RGBs but when I view/edit in either programs the Elements 8 looks sharper and more contrasted, but if I then open the same image in CS4 it is noticeably softer and seems to need a stronger tweak in basic adjustments. Often it seems if I begin to edit in Elements 8 and then decide I need something more refined I'll save in PSD and then open up in CS4 but the difference is noticeable....any idea why or am I seeing things ?

Diane Miller
01-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Are you looking at RAW files or JPEGs? I'm not familiar with Elements, but both programs are color managed and ideally should display the same -- you might check that neither one is making auto adjustments to the image.

Elements is more likely to be "helping" you behind the scenes, and could have a higher default sharpening. Setting up color management properly can be difficult. Check the various preferences.

I'd suggest you use real Photoshop as the better alternative. If the organizational capabilities of Elements are something you use, Lightroom is a very well-designed and extremely useful program.