PDA

View Full Version : Searching the Nossob (Repost)

Rudi van den Heever
01-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Well, I have decided to give this image another go, after some good advice and strong crits on the orginal post here http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/106656-Searching-the-Nossob. :tinysmile_shy_t:

I had to do a lot of local adjustments as the angle of light and the tree made for a rather "hazy" image in at least the bottom part (especially in the color version...) This time a was more sparingly on the dodging and burning and used levels for the job instead of the burn tools in CS6. Also applied some local contrast adjustments to get that rid of the extreme flat look on the hind quarters. :2eyes2:

I know this image is a keeper (if I can get the processing right), as it is also the only one I got of her in tree with some sort of an eye... What do you guys think?:c3:

<iframe src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1718" frameborder="0" height="60" scrolling="no" width="468">Sorry your browser does not support iFrame
</iframe>

Rudi van den Heever
01-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Here is the unedited color version, to enable you to see where I am coming from...

Morkel Erasmus
01-18-2013, 02:42 AM
Rudi - will reserve my feedback on the B&W for now to see what the community comes up with on this one...
I love the colour version! Perhaps make that available in RAW so we can use it in the RAW file exercises? At the very least I'd like to work up the RAW in colour and B&W so you could dropbox it to me...:e3

Brendon Cremer
01-18-2013, 03:11 AM
Hi Rudi, although there were issues with the first conversion, i really dont feel the second is better, im sorry. I Like the fact that you added the original so we can see what you working with. I actually prefer the original image as is to work with, instead of the cropped version. I like the inclusion of the branches to add texture and space to the image. In the RP i feel you have lost all the drama that was in the bg and a lot of the whites on the leopard still look a little overcooked. I tried my hand on the original, i first applied some levels adjustments and then converted to b@W, i then used nik softwares silver efex to make some local adjustments. WDYT, i dont think its perfect but it may give you a different idea.

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Hey Rudi,
I have to agree with Brendon. I think his repost shows you that it is possible and worth trying out! The hind leg looks better to me in the repost so you may want to tone it down before you do additional processing.

Andreas Liedmann
01-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Hey Rudi,
i would go either for Brendon`s conversion or go for trying out the washed out color version.

Sorry but your B/W conversion does not work for me. Sadly. But do not give up !!!!

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
01-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Rudi - I really like what Brendon did - adds much more context and punch to the image for my tastes. :e3
I'd still like to give it a whack...from RAW...:tinysmile_shy_t:

Rudi van den Heever
01-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Like your conversion Brendon, but you are right.. looked for something more "dramatic"...:e3

Morkel, check your inbox... :2eyes2:

Mark Wiseman
01-28-2013, 06:52 AM
Hi Rudi,
I agree with what has been said above and Brendon's RP in black and white is a beautiful image. Well done and TFS,
Mark.