PDA

View Full Version : Female Ruddy Duck

wendell westfall
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
D90 70-200VR+2X@400 1/1000 f8.0 ISO400 -1/3EV handheld

Last week I found this gal diving among the much more colorful males of her species -- "she don't get no respect". But I like her looks anyway, and her diving activity -- work ethic -- was equal to or superior to the males. Cropped almost 50% and some adjustments in LR and PS Elements.

Wendell

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2189"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

PhilCook
01-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Strange looking duck, it almost looks like it's head and bill is too big for it's body, and the body looks more like that of a Grebe.

Liking very much the water in this one Wendell, a beautiful satin lustre and a great reflection and bow wave as well.....a slightly lower angle would of been a little better, but possibly at risk of losing the lovely blue colors....it is a little soft but maybe an extra round of sharpening would help that.

Marina Scarr
01-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Lovely Ruddy with a nice head turn, and I love that water and reflection. Yes, a lower angle may have rendered the photo more appealing to the viewer, but maybe you couldn't get any lower. I still think this image lacks details and I really think it's your off brand TC. I would give it another round of sharpening and consider moving it off center.

Doug West
01-18-2013, 02:40 AM
Did you crop of much, if any, of the wake? The reason I ask is, this is one instance
where its ok to break the guideline of having more space in front, if you have enough
wake that would put the duck closer to the right hand edge.

Doug

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Hey Wendell,
Excellent observations above. I am OK with the angle here as it gives you a very nice reflection......the lower you go......the more you lose that. Looking at the wake.....focus appears to be slightly behind her.....just at the back edge. These are tough especially when they are wet!

wendell westfall
01-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Yes, Doug, I do have more wake, but I did not think of including it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Daniel Cadieux
01-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Neat little guy or gal, and I love the water and perfect HA for this pose. I agree with the observations and suggestions. There is a tiny white fleck in g\front of the reflected bill's tip that should go.

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Lots of good comments and suggestions above..so won't repeat. I loved the water in this shot a lot...nice color and texture. These ducks are not easy to get close to here. I've always found this a tough species to capture with 400mm. I dont think I have any good keepers.