PDA

View Full Version : The Little One: Small Pratincole

supreet.sahoo
01-17-2013, 07:00 AM

Define cute - A small pratincole cuddled up against a big blue lake in warm afternoon light!! Probably not too accurate but it surely was a nice cute moment worth sharing! This also happens to be one of the toughest birds in India to photograph while in flight due to the speed at which they fly, not to mention the erratic turns that they make. Let me know if the composition works fine for everyone.

Canon 7D+ 420mm
5.6, 1/640, 100, 0 Step

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2291"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Nick Palmieri
01-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Nice job capturing this little guy. I like the colors and light. Exposure on bird looks good. I think there is too much OOF FG caused by the low angle.

supreet.sahoo
01-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Nice job capturing this little guy. I like the colors and light. Exposure on bird looks good. I think there is too much OOF FG caused by the low angle.

I totally agree with you on the FG here Nick, I usually use an inverted bean bag while shooting ground level, which in this case was not used. The bean bag gives almost the right height to shoot birds perched on the ground and a nice thin FG. I overdid it a little in this case. Thanks

Marina Scarr
01-17-2013, 10:24 AM
I am not opposed to the FG here. I find it to be quite a pleasing image with great colors and a lot of interest. I might try some off of the top for a more pano look as an alternative.

Miguel Palaviccini
01-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Supreet -

You may have a bit too much fg oof, but your subject is spot on! I agree with Marina, the earthy browns and blue sky create a nice contrast and really help the image pop.

I would also take a look at taking a sliver off the bottom, about 30% off the top, and maybe a sliver off the right.

Miguel

Jonathan Ashton
01-17-2013, 11:35 AM
I think you have captured it well, I know this sounds contrary to customary advice but I would suggest had you not been quite so low you would have been able to isolate the bird more effectively and just maybe you would have seen the feet (but then again maybe not).

Daniel Cadieux
01-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I like the image as presented, but I agree a bit off the top would work well too. The light colours, comp all look good to me. Just to put a finishing touch I would eliminate the white speck next to the shadowed rock.

Mike Milicia
01-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Love seeing all these wonderful species from India ... thanks for sharing!
Good comp for emphasizing how tiny the bird is and I really like the BG!
I don't say this very often but I do think you were a bit too low for this one. OOF fg does not bother me all that much but don't like the way the feet are cut off.

wendell westfall
01-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Sharp bird looks great in the hazy foreground . . . just a bit off the top would make it better for me.

PhilCook
01-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Bird looks excellent, what a great looking species, is it a young one possibly as i thought the Pratincoles were tall legged birds. Yes to being a little higher for the shot to at least get his feet in, and either crop a little off the top or/an crop tighter all round