PDA

View Full Version : On top of things

Morkel Erasmus
01-16-2013, 05:32 PM
I should really get round to showing more images from this epic lion kill sighting in the Kalahari this November past.
After the chase, there was a dense cloud of white dust so getting an image of the pounce and ensuing struggle was nigh impossible - there was no contrast for the camera to pick up, even with the bare eye it was hard to make out what was going on in the tussle. When the dust started settling, I saw this...:eek3:

It was quite tricky processing this, as it was naturally very low in contrast due to the dust. I tried to boost it without losing the essence of the scene. What do you think? Needs more? Needs less? :e3

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f5.6 @ 1/800 SS @ ISO-1800
Cropped from top and bottom

PS: Eland was still very much alive at this point...and for quite a while afterwards...

<iframe src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1771" frameborder="0" height="60" scrolling="no" width="468"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Rachel Hollander
01-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Hi Morkel - I like the dust and it certainly adds to the story and serves as an indicator that the kill action is recent or ongoing. I like the pose of the standing lioness with her paw on the eland. It does look difficult to pp. And the eye is drawn to the standing lioness. Have a great trip. Looking forward to your images when you return.

TFS,
Rachel

Carole Deschuymere
01-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Hi Morkel, just love this picture. really jealous of that sighting!:tinysmile_shy_t: I think you did a great job on the processing, not too much, not too little. I can almost taste the dust :w3 Enjoy your holiday!

Morkel Erasmus
01-18-2013, 02:36 AM
Thanks Carole and Rachel.
Trip has been cancelled...so I will be around :t3

Brendon Cremer
01-18-2013, 03:25 AM
Stunning sighting Morkel and really well captured, i like the pano crop and although the dust make the image a little difficult to work with it creates good mood. I like everything about the image i just see a slight green cast over the whole image, or is it just me???

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Hey Morkel,
I missed one of these because of the dust too! I'd leave it as is! I like the heavier dust on the one on the kill while the clearing on the central lions head adds to the overall image. Wouldn't change a thing! Very nicely done!

Andreas Liedmann
01-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi Morkel,
spectacular image and scene that you have witnessed and photographed.
All fits together for me, would not change a thing.
:5

TFS Andreas