PDA

View Full Version : Deadly embrace

Steve Maxson
01-16-2013, 11:19 AM
First off - I want to let everyone know that I will be traveling again - to Belize, Florida, and Costa Rica and will be gone until 21 February. I will be off the grid for much of that time so I'm hoping everyone can chip in to keep this forum running smoothly. :S3:

Now to the image - I was looking for macro subjects at a site in Missouri when I spotted this Red-spotted Purple butterfly. I became suspicious when it seemed unusually still. Sure enough, it had been captured by a crab spider. The spider is almost entirely concealed in the flowers, but there are two white legs wrapped around the upper body of the butterfly. 7D, 100 mm macro, 1/200, f/16, ISO 200, MT24-EX macro twin flash (diffused), hand held. The background is a print of OOF vegetation held a few inches behind the subject. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1794"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Roman Kurywczak
01-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Pretty awesome Steve! I wish we could see more of the spider.....but the legs are clearly visible and that makes for a great story. Combine the light and great BG.....winner for sure!!!

Have a great and safe travels!!!

Jonathan Ashton
01-17-2013, 05:10 AM
Wow what an image to leave behind you! Firstly I am surprised you could get a subject that large in the frame with that close up lens, maybe I should start saving up! The lighting is just about perfect your focus is perfect the exposure is... yes perfect. The crab spider is an ambush expert and you have conveyed this beaviour beautifully. At first I looked and thought what are the butterfly legs doing in that position and then I looked at the title so that explained it. Being absolutely hypercritical I would say the antenna coming out of the flower is just a smidgeon out of focus. I think this is one of the best images we have seen for some time.

Bob Miller
01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Steve...great natural history capture! Your oof bg print worked well here!

Bob Allen
01-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Terrific image, artistically and from a natural history story-telling perspective.

Andrew Merwin
01-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Insect drama at its best. A very riveting image. TFS.