PDA

View Full Version : Confrontation

Chris van Rooyen
01-16-2013, 10:51 AM
I photographed this confrontation between a southern pale chanting goshawk and slender mongoose early one morning in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in March last year. The mongoose won, the goshawk lots his nerve and took flight.

Sorry just noticed a shadow next to the wing, sloppy cloning when I removed a dust spot - apologies. Herewith corrected image.

Camera Model: NIKON D3S
Date/Time: 2012:03:05 07:06:36
Shutter speed: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Manual
Exposure compensation: -1/3
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 1250
Lens: 600mm

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1704"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Sidharth Kodikal
01-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Such an engaging image Chris. I'd have thought the mongoose would be an easy snack for the goshawk!
The interesting angled light adds to the suspense.

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Chris, your shots always have that magical light. Terrific interaction, IQ and DOF coverage. Well composed, of course.

gail bisson
01-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Hi Chris,
Really interesting behavior/confrontation captured here.
The light on the goshawk face, belly and legs and mongoose is well placed so the shadows are fine on the tail and far wing.
I like the composition as well and the gnarly branch.
If I had one wish it would be that the nose tip did not merge with the branch,
Gail

Morkel Erasmus
01-16-2013, 03:47 PM
it's good seeing you posting, Chris!
lovely moment in that most epic of epic golden Kalahari light :5
interesting outcome indeed!

PhilCook
01-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Excellent being in the right place at the right time, certainly not something one would see very often I shouldn't think. Nicely isolated on the gnarly branch too, great bit of eye candy !

Marina Scarr
01-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Great to see you posting again, Chris. Yet another one of your terrific images here. Love the way the hawk is checking out its visitor. Terrific perch and light.

Randy Stout
01-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Hi Chris:

As Marina said, great to see you posting! It seems like a long time.

Very interesting encounter, and I too would have thought the bird had the upper talon here

But for animals, it is all about the risk/reward equation. Do I try to eat him, at the risk of being injured? I guess there isn't much meat on that skinny varmit, so I will be safe and leave.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
01-17-2013, 04:39 AM
Lovely light a really interesting moment, super details and I am glad the mongoose decided discretion was a better option than valour.

Chris van Rooyen
01-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Thanks everyone for looking and commenting! I have done very little photography the past 18 months, hope this year will be more productive..