PDA

View Full Version : My First Post ... My First Painted Bunting

Terry Eddington
04-27-2008, 07:44 PM
I've been lurking, occasionally posting a comment, but I wanted something special for my first post. This is not a technically perfect photo - too hidden, a little noisy and not as tack sharp as I wanted but I'm tickled with what I got.

http://photos3.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/a/d/4/f/highres_3944367.jpeg

This was taken at Arbor Hills Nature Preserve in Plano, TX. I moved here about a year ago and I'm just discovering the wonderful variety of birds and how hard it is to take a great shot. This is a major crop taken with a Canon Rebel XTi and the 70-300 4.5-5.6 IS at 300MM, f5.6, 1/500, ISO 200. I think I'd taken off my circular polarizer before I took this shot.

Alfred Forns
04-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Hi Terry !!!!! Glad you decided to post !!! Only way to go !!!

Got a lot of good things here I like the framing placing the bird more to left (looking right), on the corner which is good, good exposure and head angle. Would try closing in on the birds by any means. Trying to catch them lower down will be a plus, normally steep angles don't work well.

This is a great image to build from. oof leaves on the the foreground are not all that bad, sure wish they were just a bit lower and also wish for the one covering the bill not to be there !!! Looking forward to many more.

btw not sure what you were up to with the polarizer? The main use is for eliminating reflections and photographing around water. In both of these situations you have lots of light so the two and one half stop loss of light is not that crucial. For birds we generally don't use them.

Harold Davis
04-28-2008, 09:30 AM
hi terry, glad you started posting!! i like what you are doing here. looks like al gave you some great tips. cant wait to see some more from you!

Alfred Forns
04-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Terry was going to comment but forgot .... is that a painted bunting?

Terry Eddington
04-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Terry was going to comment but forgot .... is that a painted bunting?

Al, I'm a definite "maybe" on the Painted Bunting. I'm just learning my birds and I really did not come up with any other alternatives. They are normally found in this area, at least at times though more common closer to Mexico, and I didn't find anything else that fit the size range, beak style with the orange breast and blue head. I never got a good look at the backside to see if any of the other colors were visible on the wings, back or tail. I'm open to other suggestions.

Oscar Zangroniz
04-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Great first post Terry. Indeed a beautiful bird. Foreground a little busy for my taste. Like the head angle.
Congrats,

Gus Cobos
04-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Hi Terry,
Welcome to BPN. I like your composition, your subject has sharp eyes and is placed properly in the frame. It is hard to capture these little birds in habitats like this one. It is a wee bit busy, but thats ok, practice makes better and patience is a virtue. I like it, I know your next one is going to be 100% better...:) Lets call this one "A WORK IN PROGRESS"...:D:D:D