PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Skimmer

Brendon Cremer
01-16-2013, 05:35 AM
A skimming African Skimmer shot in very low light as the sun was disappearing under the horizon, on the Chobe river Botswana. I used a slow shutter speed and rear curtain sync with the flash.

Then there is the question to Fix the eye or not

Camera NIKON D3
Focal Length 400mm
Shutter Speed 1/50 sec
Aperture f/7.1
ISO/Film 800
Flash Exposure Manual 1/1

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1953"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

vishaljadhav
01-16-2013, 08:30 AM
This one is a very interesting perspective
I like the image the way its presented, the black line the the skimmer has made makes it complete image.
Love the presentation.

Daniel Cadieux
01-16-2013, 09:54 AM
I like what you were going for here. Nice colour to the water, and I did not realize skimmers skimmed until dark. The image needs CCW rotation, and perhaps a crop below for an even more pano comp. Yes to fixing the eye. I'm not a flash expert but looks like rear-sync gave you some ghosting shadows...

Marina Scarr
01-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Really happy to see you going for something unique. Love the colors and feel of the water. Agree on the CCW rotation. I personally like the effects of the ghosting for a different look. Agree on a tighter pano. Maybe consider a little off top to clean up that area on the left.

I rarely see a Skimmer on my lake during the day, when it's dark I can hear them and barely see them skimming the water.

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-16-2013, 11:28 AM
A fine shot, Brendon. Well thought out and executed. Liked the composition as well.

If mine, I'd try to fix the blue cast on the skimmer...esp. because there are such nice warm tones in the water. A little warmer white on the skimmer will make it better. I think.

Brendon Cremer
01-17-2013, 01:42 AM
Thanks very much for all your comments guys and gals, much appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
01-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Hey Brendon,
Love the thinking and uniqueness of this. I'll just throw out a few thoughts for you to consider......another vote for the eye fix and for me.....toning down the white of the body a touch.....just to lessen the flash impact. then I might go into the water and play with the brightness and contrast.....give it more pop and balance the skimmer. 100's of directions you could go with this.....but original concept and execution work for me all around! Very creative and thought out!