PDA

View Full Version : Bridal Veil Creek

Michael Libbe
01-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Bridal Veil Creek
Columbia River Gorge, Oregon
Canon 50D, Canon 24-105mm, ISO 100, .5 sec @ f16

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2902" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Roman Kurywczak
01-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Hey Michael,
Exposure well handled and the colors look very good. For me the comp isn't working and I feel that in the field......it may have been better to move to the right to eliminate the log in the FG......not sure if that was possible. For me...the river just isn't standing out and the moss and greenery are overpowering the comp.

Michael Libbe
01-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks, Roman. Moving to the right would mean getting wet which I wasn't prepared for. I don't recall, but that might have cut off more of the waterfall in the background than I wanted. But you do make a valid point about the moss and greenery. There is a lot of that all over the gorge.

Robert Amoruso
01-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Mike,

That is the big problem with falls, the best shots are usually made with you in the water. :S3:

I too would prefer that the log was out of the image. It haphazardly exits the bottom of the image.

The water color is too green and the foliage too yellow. In the repost I have used Nik CEP White Neutralized to correct that t look more natural. Green is less saturated now and more natural looking.

Michael Libbe
01-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Thank you, Robert!

Morkel Erasmus
01-20-2013, 04:39 PM
good colour call by Robert, but I have to agree with Roman and Robert's assessments above, Michael...:e3...now there's some food for thought for next time (like packing the waders)
let's see some more of you landscape images...:5

Don Lacy
01-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Hi Michael, Wonderful location would definitely go back and work it again trying to simplify your compositions, with this image as presented I find myself confused as to what is the main focal point of the image is it the log, stream, waterfall, or the greenery they are all given equal weight in the composition.

Michael Libbe
01-22-2013, 08:58 PM
You bring up an interesting point of view, Don. This was my first opportunity to shoot waterfalls, streams and forests like this. As you know, we have very little of this type of landscape here in Florida. I'm used to wide open spaces where the sky, sun, ocean or beach is the focal point.

So when I saw this, I saw a beautiful scene with lots of interesting features; the log, the boulder, the falls, the stream, the greenery. I tried to capture an image that encompassed all these interesting features as I saw them. But your question has me thinking of the composition differently and visualizing how I could have shot this differently.

We will be going back out to Oregon in July and while I'm not sure if this stop will be on the agenda, I'll certainly be looking at the opportunities differently if (when) I go back.

Thanks for the perspective.

Ron Bernstein
02-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Hey Michael - I've got a great gift for you to give yourself before heading back to Oregon! http://www.flatbooks.com/the-advanced-guide-to-photographing-waterfalls-and-streams/
This is a wonderful book on exactly the subject of this photo. Check it out, and good luck!

Michael Libbe
02-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the link, Ron! The trip will be here before I know it!

dankearl
02-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Michael, you did nice work here I think, these dark falls are not easy to photograph.
I live in Portland, feel free to PM me before your trip, I can tell you where To find a lot of
nice out of the way waterfalls in the area.