PDA

View Full Version : Using your vehicle as a blind (hide) question....

Chris Brennan
01-15-2013, 06:21 PM
I frequently use my vehicle as a blind, using either a beanbag as lens support or a monopod. I'm usually using a Lenscoat (RealTree Max 4-D) covered 500mm or 400mm lens. What I am curious about is whether others who do the same somehow disguise the vehicle window are in some way as to prevent subjects from "seeing" the car interior (and the photographer). I'm thinking that draping a large piece of camo cloth (with a slit cut out for the lens) would do although I don't know whether it would matter, since I cannot disguise the entire car... Opinions, thoughts, suggestions?

Doug West
01-16-2013, 12:50 AM
I've never used any type of camo when using my car as a blind. I just take my time approaching,
come to a slow stop, grab my camera/lens from the front seat and carefully put it on my beanbag,
not making any sudden movements. Slow n easy works for me.

Doug

David Stephens
01-16-2013, 03:09 PM
I don't use anything to hide myself beyond what the car provides naturally. My car has a bit of a loud engine and that's not even a problem. The last few feet of moving in I have my lens already on the windowsill to reduce the chance that moving it there will disturb my subjects. I don't use a beanbag or other support and simply hand hold my 5D3/500mm combination. Occasionally, I brace against the sill, but usually just hold the camera and lens.

BobbyPerkins
01-16-2013, 07:02 PM
IMO draping the cloth blind is a good idea if your stationary in your vehicle for some time, then it can be very effective in concealing your movement as is the purpose of any blind. For example if you parked along roadside parallel to natural habitat such as a duck pond before sunrise. As soon as the sun starts to lift the pond comes to life and the waterfowl are pretty much oblivious to your presence. The drape can work well to conceal your outline & movement.

Since the car is stationary and not moving you dont have to be concerned about disguising rhe entire vehicle.

But, for the stop and go "drive-by shootings" It wouln't be of any benifit.

Chris Brennan
01-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks for your responses! I would be most concerned for the "longer stays" as outlined by BobbyPerkins in his response. I have investigated this further and was recommended to a company who makes camo screening which can be fastened around a car window as seen here: http://theskeeterbeater.com/ I can simply cut a slit in the fabric to allow the lens to protrude, but it would ideally mask any other movement inside my car.

Arthur Morris
01-23-2013, 06:41 PM
With some birds getting behind camo is a necessity even when you are in the car. You will figure out which ones after you scare them away a few times.

Arthur Morris
01-23-2013, 06:42 PM
ps: another pro trick is to put a dark cloth on the passenger's side window.....

Grady Weed
01-23-2013, 08:34 PM
I just placed an order for a "Skeeter Beater". Thanks for the link.