PDA

View Full Version : King

Roman Kurywczak
01-15-2013, 10:31 AM
We came upon this male in the Ngorongoro crater, near the swamps, on a heavy overcast day. He didn't even look at us once and was very fixated on something that we could not see. About an hour later we found him again in the swamps having an epic battle with about 25 hyena!......alas.....we could only hear the confrontation but not see it. We do believe there may have been more lions in there with him......but I counted the 25 muddy hyena that I could see. Now I need to get that battle in the open this year on my return tour!
ISO 1600 at f/6.3 for 1/400 sec. I decided to leave the grass in his mane....debating that and yes....his mane has that reddish color along the fringes.

Rachel Hollander
01-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi Roman - nice muted tones and walking pose to this one, though I am not a fan of bodily function shots and the stream here does draw the eye. I have no problem with the grass in the mane and actually prefer it. I'm wondering if you can bring out some more detail in the face.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
01-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Hi Roman, appreciate your input all round on previous threads. :cheers:

With something as magnificent as this, I think it needs a bit more 'guts' to it, I find it tonally a little thin IMHO and therefore lacks the 'form' to give this beast 'presence' if you know what I mean. I think with some simple tweaks, plus some rounds of selective USM you will do you image justice, as it springs to life with character. Also, the depth of colour comes through more. Finally adding a 50% screen layer you can tickle in some lighter areas to 'sculpt' parts? Hopefully you will understand where I'm going. Don't have an issue with the reddish maine. Nice to see the ISO being pushed.

For what seems to be a 'youngish' lion, he seems to be suffering from a little incontinence :bg3: or were there females around?

TFS
Steve

Dumay de Boulle
01-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Lovely specimen...I like the bit of red in the mane. I feel the image could use a bit more contrast.

Steve Kaluski
01-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Perhaps something like this Roman, I hope this does your image justice? :S3:

Andreas Liedmann
01-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi Roman,
lovely classy lion pose and walking study.
Looks like a big male with a very nice and colorful mane.
Like the POV and the soft BG with likewise soft colors all over the image.

I agree with Steve about the missing form , in other words i think the lion should pop more.

Think Steve lifted it up a step , but from RAW there should be more room to play with the tonality , if you like to.
No question for me leaving the grass where it is , in the mane.

TFS Andreas

Roman Kurywczak
01-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks all! Will add the contrast as it definitely improves this!

Steve Kaluski
01-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Hi Roman, I didn't use any contrast, just a couple of actions I have written, as I try to avoid adding too much, if any, black to the image 'as such'.

Morkel Erasmus
01-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Looks like he's shaping up to be an impressive male, Roman. I like the purposeful gait, but not the droplets (though I would have kept it if mine anyway).
I think the reddish in the mane could be dried blood from a previous night's kill?
Steve's repost has made it pop nicely. It would have been epic to see and photograph that fight!

Brendon Cremer
01-16-2013, 05:19 AM
Steves RP nailed it, great image well captured.