PDA

View Full Version : Leaves lit up during sunset

Mark van Veen
01-15-2013, 03:33 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8336/8376132028_809cfb3dbc_o_d.jpg

I am new here on the forum and I like to show this detail shot. I was walking with a friend though a marshy area when I noticed that the low sun lit up the leaves of reed just above the dark water. I had my 300mm and used that, on tripod, to make several shots (iso 400, F4, 1/100s, mirror up before exposure). In the post processing, I darkened the right part and enhanced contrast.

What do you think? Especially, do you like the right part, does it fit with the yellow leaves?

Mark van Veen
Netherlands

Roman Kurywczak
01-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Hey Mark,
Welcome to the forum!

This is a tough one for me as I prefer more simplified compositions. I understand the lit leaves caught your eye but for me there is just too much going on around it and the right hand side is drawing too much attention. The area on the left that is lit has a lot going on.....but the brightest reflection behind it is taking away and distracts from the main focus point.
When I teach, I tell people to keep the camera off the tripod at first and explore compositions looking through the viewfinder while hand holding. This is much easier than on a tripod. Sometimes moving slightly to the left or right.....a few inches up or down.....can make a big difference! Once you explore those compositions and find one that minimizes distractions and captures the vision you were looking for.....then put it on the tripod and fire away! I would then explore more DOF.......less DOF and even faster and slower SS......when you get home.....compare and choose the one you like best. Once you change your thinking when you approach macro.....it will help you see and think like your camera. Make sense?
Welcome to the forum again and hope to see more of your work!

Steve Maxson
01-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Hi Mark and welcome to the Macro forum! I like what you are trying to do here - in essence you have a mini-landscape. The natural world is filled with these if we just open our eyes. Roman makes a lot of good points above for you to consider. There are a couple small sunlit leaves (one in the LRC and one one the top mid-frame) just poking into the frame that are detracting from your main subject. I would suggest removing them. Also, you might consider cropping a just a little off the left and enough off the right to at least eliminate the sunlit leaf mentioned previously. I think this would help to simplify the comp and help use to focus more on your main subject. Lastly, I would suggest removing the brightest round highlight from the water as my eye cannot help but go there. This is all pretty subjective so it will be interesting to see what others have to say. :S3: I look forward to seeing more of your work here in Macro!

Jonathan Ashton
01-17-2013, 05:04 AM
Hi Mark, welcome to the forum. The quick answer is yes I like the image and the composition, I think the exposure is very good and you have a focused well. The title is apt but especially in view of the title I would remove the three bright circular areas just to the left of centre, two appear to be water droplets and up towards the top you have the tip of a stem, if they went your image would be a lot stronger.

Bob Miller
01-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum! To me your image lacks a clearly defined subject. To your credit, you noticed the light on the reeds ever the dark water but that vision got lost in all the busyness. Your vision demanded simplicity. When shooting ask yourself what made you stop to take this picture and then start trying to compose a picture that removes any element that does not strengthen your subject.

Valerio Tarone
01-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Hi mark, welcome to the forum. I agree with the previous comments.Too many elements makethe image confusing. Often is better have one or two elements to simplify the image, concentrate the attention of the viewer to the main subject where you want draw the attention.

Mark van Veen
01-18-2013, 05:06 AM
Thank you all for your helpful comments. The light that caught my eye, on the leaves, drowns in a buzy environment. Simplify it is your message. I will look for more subjects like these and apply your hints!

Mark