PDA

View Full Version : Bosque Coyote

Tom Rambaut
01-15-2013, 03:04 AM
Took this at Bosque last year.

1D MK 4, 500mm + 1.4ext, 1/500 @ 6.3, ISO 400.

Just to the left was a pond with snow geese on it. They, the geese, soon took off as this guy came along the edge of the pond.

Thanks Tom

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1775"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Dumay de Boulle
01-15-2013, 06:06 AM
Backlighting and exp on the Coyote handled well with good sharpness, I would try tone down the hi-lites in the grass in the FG and centre of the image.

Tom Rambaut
01-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Backlighting and exp on the Coyote handled well with good sharpness, I would try tone down the hi-lites in the grass in the FG and centre of the image.

Will try that!

Steve Kaluski
01-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Hi Tom, nice to see you posting here, lovely shot.

I like the composition, trotting mode (with that rear leg slightly raised), side profile with the jaws slightly open, eyes focused.

I'm just wondering if just pushing things a bit more, it emphasises that lovely light and brings a bit more depth to the overall image, and just knocking back one or two white hot spots. You can easily control things with the Opacity & mask to get the required final depth/tone. I would, depending on how comfortable you are and ethics, loose the blades of talk grass to give a bit more separation to the subject. I'm not saying this is right, but with two blends and a B/W curves adjustment and some 'gardening' this may give food for thought. However, you are the best judge on light, so this is just a personal suggestion. Hope to see more.

TFS
Steve

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
01-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Hi Tom - Steve's rp really takes this to a whole new level with nice warm tones. Definitely worth reworking the raw file a bit. Hoping to see some more wildlife shots from you.

TFS,
Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
01-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Hey Tom,
If within your ethics......I like the direction Steve took the image into and I would further carefully work on those near the head as well.......would just give it more impact but overall a very nice image.

Andreas Liedmann
01-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi Tom,
agree with the others about a nice trotting shot of the coyote.
Like the Original colors, The area around the coyote seems a bit busy, so if it is fitting in your ethics, i would remove what Steve did, maybe even a bit more.

Tonality is nice in Steve`s RP but a tad too heavy for my taste.I would suggest to stay a bit lighter on the coyote without losing the tonal depth.

TFS Andreas

Tom Rambaut
01-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Hi Tom, nice to see you posting here, lovely shot.

I like the composition, trotting mode (with that rear leg slightly raised), side profile with the jaws slightly open, eyes focused.

I'm just wondering if just pushing things a bit more, it emphasises that lovely light and brings a bit more depth to the overall image, and just knocking back one or two white hot spots. You can easily control things with the Opacity & mask to get the required final depth/tone. I would, depending on how comfortable you are and ethics, loose the blades of talk grass to give a bit more separation to the subject. I'm not saying this is right, but with two blends and a B/W curves adjustment and some 'gardening' this may give food for thought. However, you are the best judge on light, so this is just a personal suggestion. Hope to see more.

TFS
Steve

TFS
Steve

I like what you have done but maybe would not have gone as dark. I try to not do too much 'gardening' but agree that it improves the image. He was trotting along!

Steve Kaluski
01-16-2013, 02:34 AM
Hi Tom, no worries, as I said, things like this are personal & often very subjective, but it's food for thought. I agree on avoiding too much 'gardening' as hopefully it makes you a better photographer, but the loss of a few loose stems isn't a big issue, I think? :w3

Morkel Erasmus
01-16-2013, 06:24 AM
Nice low angle and I like the direction of the light here, Tom.
Steve's repost is great and shows the difference some tonal adjustment and "gardening" can make (though I myself prefer to refrain from pruning the twigs).
I'm eager to see some more of your work.