PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly closeup

Bob Miller
01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
I took this at a butterfly exhibit in Va. The purple bg was a fence. I liked the color combination of yellow and purple. I know i need to address the top left corner
Nikon D3s
1/400 AT F5.6
iso 800
180 MACRO
Comments please....selective focus???

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2897" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Roman Kurywczak
01-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Hey Bob,
I rarely like shallow DOF....but in this case given your presentation.....I think it works! Focus is where it needs to be. You mentioned the UL corner.....that is the first thing that drew my eye so blending it in with the purple or even matching the darker shade will go a long way. Minor tweak to an unusual comp that works.

Steve Maxson
01-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Hi Bob. I like the mix of colors and the comp. You also nailed the focus point right where it needs to be. I agree with Roman about toning down the bright area in the ULC as it is a real eye-catcher. You might try using the brush tool at low opacity (say around 10-15%), select the purple color, and then paint over the bright area several times till it looks right to you. You might also consider cropping the bright green strip on the right side of the frame as it also draws my eye. Overall, this is very nicely done and just needs a couple tweaks to make it shine!

Jonathan Ashton
01-17-2013, 04:59 AM
The thumbnail doesn't do the image justice. The more I look at the image the more I like it, on the thumbnail I didn't like the purple but on the image I think it looks good. the selective focus has worked from my point of view, it concentrates attention on the head which is clearly your aim, by doing this Ifeel that the other vibrant colours are supportive as opposed to detracting, yes this floats my boat!