PDA

View Full Version : White Pelican at Lake Kerkini

Gerald Kelberg
01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
This White Pelican (Pelicanus onocrotalus) was alone among the Dalmatian Pelicans at Lake Kerkini when we were there back in Feb 2011. Being smaller in size, he was at a disadvantage in the scrum for catching fish - but he was a plucky little devil and mixed it with the big boys pretty well. Here, he was doing a quick 'fly by' to catch up with the Dalmatians.

I really liked the pink colour around the head, the head angle and the feathers on the bird's back.

In post-process a little clean-up on the bill and on the water and eliminated some of the brighter white birds on the horizon. Decided to leave most as it created some suggestion of a horizon. Similarly, the land on the left. I'd be interested to hear views on whether I should have taken it out or not. What do you think?

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM at 115.0mm
Shutter Speed 1/1000 at f/13.0 ISO Speed 400 Hand-held
Post processing in DPP, Photoshop CS5, Neat Image, brushed on a little NIK Tonal Contrast.

Thanks for looking,

Gerald

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2444"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Simon Wantling
01-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Hi Gerald. Really like this photo and composition and the exposure looks spot on from my un trained eye. I don't consider myself good enough to suggest a comment but I find my eye drawn to the dark horizon in the left hand corner. Maybe this could be toned down, but as I said, I really like it.

thanks

Robert vanMierop
01-14-2013, 06:53 PM
I'm a huge White Pelican fan and I like this image...ruffled in flight...but I would have removed the land in the bg because it doesn't really look like "land", such as trees, etc. Great detail on the bird itself.

Randy Stout
01-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Gerald:

Handsome fellow, sharp, well exposed.

Generally I do like something in the bg in water shots, or sky for that matter, as it gives some sense of depth. Here however, the spit isn't much to write home about, and unfort. it is right on line with the bill, so I would be tempted to eliminate it, or perhaps move it up or down a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
01-14-2013, 08:55 PM
Nice details in your whites and nice and sharp. Like the blue BG but which the line weren't at the bird's beak.

Robert Holguin
01-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Wonderful shot!!
I really like the flight pose, exposed very well, terrific comp, nice IQ, and very nice light.
Agree on removing the piece of land.
Well done.

Gerald Kelberg
01-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks to all for your comments.

I was wondering if in fact a more pano crop showing more of the land doesn't work better. Keeps the bird in a context rather than only blue water and sky.

Any thoughts?

Gerald

Daniel Cadieux
01-15-2013, 12:29 PM
I prefer the OP, but I agree with removing the line. There is enough texture on the bottom part of the BG to let us know it is water anyhow IMO. Good job on the pelican, he's looking very good.

Roman Kurywczak
01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Hey Gerald,
Pelican looks great.....although not my favorite wing position. If you go with the OP......agree with everyone above and lose the land strip. I do like your repost pano with the land as well......so two very nice images out of one!