gail bisson
01-14-2013, 06:50 AM
Canon 1D MKIV
F 4.0 600mmII
ISO 400
SS 1/2000
f 7.1
Cropped by 20% so 80% FF
Eagle was baited with chicken by a local man who feeds them on weekends in the winter. He puts the chicken pieces on an ice floe but in this case a gull picked it up then dropped it in the water and the eagle swooped down to get it.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2446"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

vishaljadhav
01-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Lovely stong image, i may personally crop it 20% more to get it tighter and make it more powerful and depict the strength of the eagle.
There is a challenge to capturing birds in action and you have really done this very nicely
i wonder if you have the full series and we would love to see the full series as there would be some fantastic keepers there.
thanks for showing.

Nick Palmieri
01-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Really nice capture. I love how the tail is just sitting on top of the water.

Uri First
01-14-2013, 09:35 AM
excellnt capture a little bit small in the frame but the look make it unique

Grace Scalzo
01-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Superb action image, perfectly frozen with a great pose. Tighter comp certainly is an option, but I think it's quite excellent as presented.

Randy Stout
01-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Gail:

Excellent timing with the splash, tail on the water, full up wings. The darker bg shows off the powerful beak well.

I could see just slightly tighter, but not much for my tastes.

The whites on the throat look a bit blown out, but I am at my work monitor, which displays a smidge hot.

Glad to not be a chicken.

Cheers

Randy

Colin Gilyeat
01-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Great shot. Eagles are one of my favorites. I really like the position of the tail dragging the water surface.

Colin

Miguel Palaviccini
01-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Gail -

I'm not sure I would go in any tighter (although I do think you have the IQ to do so if you wanted). Nice timing on the capture.

If it were mine, I would reduce the contrast of the bg just a tad. Otherwise, nicely done!

Miguel

Jonathan Ashton
01-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Perfect timing - no complaints at all about highlights either Gail!! Terrific detail, the head looks sharp but the bill a little less so, maybe a tip Artie gave me once on one of my images, try making a mask of the head and increase the contrast either my USM or your preferred technique then I would see if applying a little more sharpening to the bill would help, it won't make it in focus if it isn't, but it may just help a wee bit. Another tip I was given was "more on top than bottom", I think you have, just about in this image, but I may take a sliver off the base, maybe even a little off the top to make it a slightly more pano version, this would perhaps make the image look as if it was taken from a slightly lower angle.

Stu Bowie
01-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Hi Gail, great action captured here, splash from the legs taking the chicken, tail flapping behind, and of course, the swept back wing position. Those wings really are tack sharp, and just love that look on the face of the eagle. Well captured.

dankearl
01-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Great action and a cool gnarly looking mean Eagle!

Satish Ranadive
01-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Gail:
Magnificent action shot of eagle.I like the pose with full wings up,open beak,flash of water and nice blue water.

Regards,
Satish.

Robert Holguin
01-15-2013, 12:10 AM
Terrific shot.
Excellent timing and IQ.
I personally like the comp as presented.
Well done.

David Salem
01-15-2013, 01:19 AM
Great timing and wing position. The pose with the dragging tail is very nice. Exposure looks great and lots of detail in the eagle. Pretty cool setup at this location. Well done Gail.

Frank Schauf
01-15-2013, 02:49 AM
A great dynamic image, congratulations, Gail.