Metering: Evaluative
Exp comp: +1
Live view: active
ISO: 50
AF mode: Manual Focus
Feisol CT-3472 tripod and Feisol CB-70D ball head
Jobu Design

Processing:

CS5 – ACR, Levels Adjustment, Capture Sharpening, Vignetting Correction.
CS5 – Clone and/or dodge remaining vignetting.
CS5- NIK CEP Detail Extractor/defaults at 70% opacity followed by NIK CEP Tonal Contrast/defaults at 50% opacity.

To create this image I lowered the tripod close to the sand and leveled the camera with the Jobu Design Dubble Bubble Level while framing the composition with the camera set in Live View mode.

I noticed that the clouds were moving at a much faster rate low to the ground (clearing fog) than the higher elevation overcast allowing for a unique look at a slow shutter speed. The low cloud long exposure streaking lies diagonal and coincident with the surf line forming a strong leading line in the image. The low vantage point helps to enforce that look.

Though I corrected vignetting in post-processing, the edges remained noticeably dark. I cloned the upper corners and used the dodge tool on the lower corners. After dodging each lower corner, I faded the result to visibly match the surrounding area. Using the fade control allows for better finessing of the dodged result which I find does not always yield the desired result by itself.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2517"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Jerry van Dijk
01-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Very special image with different leading lines leading to the exit point of the image. The moving clouds, the beach line and the white line of the surf all seem to convert to one point on the horizon.
Why did you use dodging instead of the vignetting correction of PS, or the automatic lens correction for the lens you used?

Robert Amoruso
01-13-2013, 01:42 PM
The more vignetting correction I did in ACR or in CS5 after conversion the more color skewing I got. Correcting it the way I did looked more natural.

Thanks for looking Jerry.

Jim Michael
01-14-2013, 07:08 AM
That's really nice Robert. I tend to prefer some vignetting, and it really adds to this image.

Rachel Hollander
01-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi Robert - nice to see you posting an image. I hope you have fully recovered from your injury. Interesting image and I like the leading lines but for me the movement of the clouds is too much blur and overpowers the image especially along the rhs. Just my personal opinion.

TFS,
Rachel

Michael Libbe
01-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Beautiful, Robert! Love the clouds and overall composition.

Roman Kurywczak
01-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Hey Robert,
I actually like the cloud movement! I like the way this converges to a point. I like the mood in this very much!

Morkel Erasmus
01-17-2013, 03:48 AM
He's back! Lovely moody image, well planned and executed, Robert. :5
I can see this working well in B&W too. Thanks for sharing your PP techniques here...

Robert Amoruso
01-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Thanks everyone. Glad you like the image.

The arm is still on the mend. I spent two months in physical therapy to regain motion I lost. I can do most things I had trouble doing before rehab, like eating a sandwich. However, the arm will never be quite the same. I can still photograph and even shoot the 600mm handheld albeit for a limited time. :)

Since Christmas I have been combating a flu-like cold and spent upwards of a week in bed. Finally starting to feel more normal this past week.