PDA

View Full Version : Slender Baskettail Dragonfly In Flight

Allen Sparks
01-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Canon 7D, Canon 300mm f4 IS, 1.4x TC, HH
ISO 400, f8, 1/800s

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2291"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Jerry van Dijk
01-13-2013, 10:37 AM
exceptional capture, Allen! A stop down would have gotten you a sharp tail, but it's fantastic that you managed to capture this at this IQ anyway! I'm not to fond of the squarish crop you chose here and the position of the df in the frame. Given the sort of central position, I'd go for a real centered position along the central diagonal. If you want to keep the off centered position I'd create some more room around.

Jonathan Ashton
01-14-2013, 09:34 AM
I think we would all be delighted to have taken a shot like this, I have tried many times and it is not easy at all. Well done super techs good focus, the tail is a little OOF maybe consider a higher ISO to give more DOF.
I know we tend to throw our arms up in despair when considering high ISO with cropped frame cameras but if you don't have to crop the image too much I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised especially with a little selective noise reduction.

Bobo Madar
01-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Wow Allen that is a great catch.

I tried all summer so know first hand how hard it is to catch one.

The problem with them is with the winter break the reflexes get rusty and have to start the cycle all over again.

I am not that concerned with the slightly oof tail but that bright spot on the left eye is a bit distracting. Hard to eliminate but toning it down some might work.

Roman Kurywczak
01-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Hey Allen,
Very nice flight shot and some great advice above on possible tweaks. Nicely done overall on a difficult capture.

Steve Maxson
01-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Hi Allen. A very nice shot of a very difficult subject! - something I have yet to accomplish. I like the diagonal comp, the slight motion blur in the wings, and the clean background. Very well done!

Bob Miller
01-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Allen....Congrats on this! I still have not gotten this shot after 3 years of trying.