PDA

View Full Version : French Kisser

Troy Lim
01-12-2013, 09:34 PM
http://www.troylimphotography.com/Nature/Song-Birds/i-FXPzCP9/0/XL/_TLP6978%20copy-XL.jpg

Each visit, I only had about 10 minutes during the dawn to get some images before he flew away. Hoping they would nest in there this spring. Almost full frame. Shot from the rooftop.

Camera NIKON D700
Focal Length 850mm
Shutter Speed 1/80 sec
Aperture f/16
ISO/Film 2000

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1736"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Sidharth Kodikal
01-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Great look at this Pileated, and what a tongue. I'm always impressed by eye level nest shots, and this is a terrific one. I bet it took several visits and hard work. By rooftop I hope you mean the roof of your vehicle (which is pretty impressive too), and not your house :)
Terrific work, Troy.

Troy Lim
01-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Great look at this Pileated, and what a tongue. I'm always impressed by eye level nest shots, and this is a terrific one. I bet it took several visits and hard work. By rooftop I hope you mean the roof of your vehicle (which is pretty impressive too), and not your house :)
Terrific work, Troy.

Thank you Sid, it was on the car port's roof. :)

Melissa Groo
01-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Nice job, Troy. Did you use flash? I would guess you had to. Nice detail, and look at that tongue. I like his inquisitive look at you and your comp.

Randy Stout
01-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Troy:

Nice display of that specialized tongue, well exposed and sharp.

I might try to tone down the highlights just a bit, and soften the harsh shadows at the top of the hole.

In our area (Michigan) the pileateds use a different/new hole every year. I believe it has to do with avoiding parasites.

I had a great opportunity in my back yard a number of years ago, just a bit above eye level, but they have never used that nest, or even the same tree again. Drats!

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
01-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Hi Troy, the colours of the woodpecker really jump out against the inside of his nest. Good HA captured, and well timed to get the tongue too.

Troy Lim
01-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Troy:

Nice display of that specialized tongue, well exposed and sharp.

I might try to tone down the highlights just a bit, and soften the harsh shadows at the top of the hole.

In our area (Michigan) the pileateds use a different/new hole every year. I believe it has to do with avoiding parasites.

I had a great opportunity in my back yard a number of years ago, just a bit above eye level, but they have never used that nest, or even the same tree again. Drats!

Cheers

Randy

Randy, thanks for the good ideas.
Melissa, yes, I had to use flash as there was not enough available light.
Thank you all.

PhilCook
01-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Now that's certainly different !......he sure looks startled, cant get over that long worm like tongue

Marina Scarr
01-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Loving all the details and the tongue action here but looks a bit overflashed to me, esp when you look at the inside of the nest. What were your flash settings? Were you using a BB and approx how far were you from the nest?

Troy Lim
01-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Loving all the details and the tongue action here but looks a bit overflashed to me, esp when you look at the inside of the nest. What were your flash settings? Were you using a BB and approx how far were you from the nest?

I was about 15 feet away, I have to get the exact distance. Yes, I used BB, and flashed at -3EV.
I cranked up the ISO to 2000. I have tried lowered my tripod so I was shooting at an upward angle but still got shadow on the top part of the nest. Perhaps I need to sit down on the car port rooftop instead of standing up. Any idea what I can try to get a more balanced shots?

Marina Scarr
01-13-2013, 07:10 PM
I was about 15 feet away, I have to get the exact distance. Yes, I used BB, and flashed at -3EV.
I cranked up the ISO to 2000. I have tried lowered my tripod so I was shooting at an upward angle but still got shadow on the top part of the nest. Perhaps I need to sit down on the car port rooftop instead of standing up. Any idea what I can try to get a more balanced shots?

It is possible that from only 15' away, you didn't need the BB even at -3.

Troy Lim
01-13-2013, 07:11 PM
It is possible that from only 15' away, you didn't need the BB even at -3.

I will give that a try,,,and try a lower angle also.