PDA

View Full Version : Lesser spotted woodpecker

Patricia Nordforss
01-12-2013, 11:29 AM
It is not often that I have seen the lesser spotted woodpecker.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp20/adine2009/jpegtiff083_zps7fc90ed9.jpg

kind regards
Patricia Nordforss
Nikon D300
F 6.3
1/640
Iso 250
330mm
Nikon 200-400 mm

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1732"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Dennis Zaebst
01-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Excellent photo Patricia. The subject and perch are needle sharp, the lighting, colors, and BG are wonderful. A very cute little fellow too. I am not familiar with this species. I presume it is a European species?

Marina Scarr
01-13-2013, 06:35 PM
What a lovely woodpecker, Patricia, and SO well exposed. Love all the details I see in all of those feathers. Your BG is nice and clean and really helps to make your WP stand out. If there were one thing I wish for, it's for a slightly smaller perch which probably could not have been helped. But if you ever do a set up to bring the bird in, it would help your image overall to have a small perch to better match the size of your bird and it's little feet...which I am glad I can see in this image.

Looking forward to more of your images.

Tony Whitehead
01-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Beautifully sharp and lovely BG, Patricia. I would be tempted to burn in the perch a little to darken it but the perch size doesn't bother me too much as woodpeckers tend to be around the trunks and larger branches searching out insects and their foot design suits grasping onto large surfaces as opposed to gripping smaller twigs.

Patricia Nordforss
01-14-2013, 02:39 AM
Thank you so much Dennis for showing an interest in my picture and thank you for your fine remarks.

with kind regards

Patricia Nordforss

Patricia Nordforss
01-14-2013, 02:47 AM
What a lovely woodpecker, Patricia, and SO well exposed. Love all the details I see in all of those feathers. Your BG is nice and clean and really helps to make your WP stand out. If there were one thing I wish for, it's for a slightly smaller perch which probably could not have been helped. But if you ever do a set up to bring the bird in, it would help your image overall to have a small perch to better match the size of your bird and it's little feet...which I am glad I can see in this image.

Looking forward to more of your images.

Hello Marina

Thank you so much for commenting my picture. Yes I think it would be nice to if the bird who is rather small sat on a smaller perch. Unfortunately the bird does not come to eat at a feeder its just luck if it passes by in the garden and stopt to seak for insekts which the bird has done here that is why it goes for a larger perch.

with kind regards

Pastricia Nordforss

Patricia Nordforss
01-14-2013, 02:55 AM
Beautifully sharp and lovely BG, Patricia. I would be tempted to burn in the perch a little to darken it but the perch size doesn't bother me too much as woodpeckers tend to be around the trunks and larger branches searching out insects and their foot design suits grasping onto large surfaces as opposed to gripping smaller twigs.

Thank you Tony for commenting on my picture it is much appreciated and I think you are right that the perch should be a bit darker. You are also right about the bird seeking insects in larger branches. This little fellow does not come to a feeder so you are lucky if it passes by.

with kind regards

Patricia Nordforss